Effects of Rinsing Water Temperature and Preheated Composites on Microleakage of Composite Restorations with Two Bonding Agents
Objectives: The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of rinsing water temperature and preheated composites on microleakage of class V restorations with two different bonding agents.
Materials and Methods: Eighty class V cavities were prepared in the buccal and lingual surfaces of 40 molars. Single Bond and Prime and Bond NT bonding agents were used. The teeth were divided into four groups of 10. G1: After acid etching, cavities were rinsed with 23˚C water and filled with 23˚C composite resin. G2: Rinsing water and composite resin had 55˚C temperature. G3: Rinsing water had 55˚C and composite resin had 23˚C temperature. G4: Rinsing water had 23˚C and composite resin had 55˚C temperature. The specimens were immersed in 0.5% basic fuchsine dye. Microleakage scores were analysed with the Kruskal-Wallis, Mann-Whitney U, and Wilcoxon tests.
Results: There were significant differences in microleakage of specimens prepared with Single Bond and Prime and Bond NT only in group 1 (P<0.05). There were no significant differences between the microleakage of groups rinsed with different water temperatures (P>0.05). There were significant differences between the unheated and preheated composite groups (P<0.05).
Conclusion: Preheating of composite is a valuable method to increase its adaptability and decrease microleakage of composite restorations.
2. Choudhary N, Kamat S, Mangala T, Thomas M. Effect of pre-heating composite resin on gap formation at three different temperatures. J Conserv Dent. 2011 Apr;14(2):191-5.
3. Nada K, El-Mowafy O. Effect of precuring warming on mechanical properties of restorative composites. Int J Dent. 2011 Jan;2011:536212.
4. Lucey S, Lynch CD, Ray NJ, Burke FM, Hannigan A. Effect of pre-heating on the viscosity and microhardness of a resin composite. J Oral Rehabil. 2010 Apr;37(4):278-82.
5. Muñoz CA, Bond PR, Sy-Muñoz J, Tan D, Peterson J. Effect of pre-heating on depth of cure and surface hardness of light-polymerized resin composites. Am J Dent. 2008 Aug;21(4):215-22.
6.Mousavinasab SM, Taromi Z, Zajkani E.Thermal rise during photopolymerization and degree of conversion of bulk fill and conventional resin composites.Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2020 Aug 14;17(4):293-299.
7. Klein-Júnior CA, Zander-Grande C, Amaral R, Stanislawczuk R, Garcia EJ, Baumhardt-Neto R, et al. Evaporating solvents with a warm air-stream: effects on adhesive layer properties and resin-dentin bond strengths. J Dent. 2008 Aug;36(8):618-25.
8. Malekipour MR, Shirani F, Ebrahimi M. The effect of washing water temperature on resin-dentin micro-shear bond strength.Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2016 Mar-Apr;13(2):174-80.
9. Lima F, Moraes R, Demarco F. One-bottle adhesives: in vitro analysis of solvent volatilization and sealing ability. Brazilian Oral Res. 2005 Dec;19(4):278-83.
10. Reis AF, Oliveira MT, Giannini M, De Goes MF, Rueggeberg FA. The effect of organic solvents on one-bottle adhesives’ bond strength to enamel and dentin. Oper Dent. 2003;28(6):700-6.
11. Reis A, Loguercio AD, Carvalho RM, Grande RHM. Durability of resin dentin interfaces: effects of surface moisture and adhesive solvent component. Dent Mater. 2004 Sep;20(7):669-76.
12. Perdigao J, Geraldeli S. In vivo Influence of Residual Moisture on Microtensile Bond Strengths of One Bottle Adhesives. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2002 Jan;14:31-8.
13. Velazquez E, Vaidyanathan J, Vaidyanathan TK, Houpt M, Shey Z, Von Hagen S. Effect of primer solvent and curing mode on dentin shear bond strength and interface morphology. Quintessence Int. 2003 Jul;34(7):548-55.
14. Manso AP, Marquezini L, Silva SM, Pashley DH, Tay FR, Carvalho RM. Stability of wet versus dry bonding with different solvent-based adhesives. Dent Mater. 2008 Apr;24(4):476-82.
15. Lopes GC, Cardoso PC, Vieira LCC, Baratieri LN, Rampinelli K, Costa G. Shear bond strength of acetone-based one-bottle adhesive systems. Braz Dent J. 2006 Jan;17(1):39-43.
16. Reis A, Loguercio AD. A 36-month clinical
evaluation of ethanol/water and acetone-based etch-and-rinse adhesives in non-carious cervical lesions. Oper Dent. 2009 Jul;34(4):384-91.
17. Mohan B, Kandaswamy D. A confocal microscopic evaluation of resin-dentin interface using adhesive systems with three different solvents bonded to dry and moist dentinan in vitro study. Quintessence Int. 2005 Jul;36(7):511-21.
18. Karadag LS, Bala O, Türköz E, Mihçioğlu T. The effects of water and acetone-based dentin adhesives on apical microleakage. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2004 May;5(2):93-101.
19. de Alexandre RS, Sundfeld RH, Giannini M, Lovadino JR. The influence of temperature of three adhesive systems on bonding to ground enamel. Oper Dent. 2008 May;33(3):272-81.
20. Loguercio A, Salvalaggio D, Piva A, Klein-Júnior C, de Lr Accorinte M, Meier M, et al. Adhesive Temperature: Effects on Adhesive Properties and Resin-Dentin Bond Strength. Oper Dent. 2011 May;36(3):293-303.
21. Pazinatto FB, Marquezini L, Atta MT. Influence of temperature on the spreading velocity of simplified-step adhesive systems. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2006 Jan;18(1):38-46.
22. Wagner WC, Aksu MN, Asku MN, Neme A-ML, Linger JB, Pink FE, et al. Effect of pre-heating resin composite on restoration microleakage. Oper Dent. 2008 Jan;33(1):72-8.
23. Fróes-Salgado NR, Silva LM, Kawano Y, Francci C, Reis A, Loguercio AD. Composite pre-heating: effects on marginal adaptation, degree of conversion and mechanical properties. Dent Mater. 2010 Sep;26(9):908-14.
24. Sabatini C, Blunck U, Denehy G, Munoz C. Effect of pre-heated composites and flowable liners on Class II gingival margin gap formation. Oper Dent. 2010 Nov;35(6):663-71.
25. Deb S, Di Silvio L, Mackler HE, Millar BJ. Pre-warming of dental composites. Dent Mater. 2011 Apr;27(4):e51-9.
26. El-Korashy DI. Post-gel shrinkage strain and degree of conversion of preheated resin composite cured using different regimens. Oper Dent. 2010 Mar;35(2):172-9.
27. Daronch M, Rueggeberg FA, Moss L, de Goes MF. Clinically relevant issues related to preheating composites. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2006 Nov;18(6):340-50.
28. Daronch M, Rueggeberg FA, Hall G, De Goes MF. Effect of composite temperature on in vitro intrapulpal temperature rise. Dent Mater. 2007 Oct;23(10):1283-8.
|Issue||Vol 19 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Dental Leakage Adhesives Temperature Composite Resins|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|