Effect of Different Types of Toothpaste on the Frictional Resistance between Orthodontic Stainless Steel Brackets and Wires
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of different types of toothpaste on the frictional resistance between stainless steel brackets and archwires.
Materials and Methods: Ninety stainless steel orthodontic brackets with stainless steel wires were bonded to bovine teeth and were divided into 6 groups for application of the following toothpastes: Colgate® Total® Advanced Whitening, Colgate® Total® Pro Gum Health, Colgate® Anticavity, Ortho.Kin®, and Sunstar GUM® Ortho toothpastes. No toothpaste was applied in the control group. Each group was brushed by a brushing machine with the use of the designated solution for 4.5 minutes. The frictional force was measured in a universal testing machine with a crosshead speed of 10 mm/minute over a 5-mm archwire. Data were analyzed using one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) at the 0.05 significance level.
Results: The frictional resistance values of Ortho.Kin® and GUM® Ortho toothpastes and the control group were not significantly different (P>0.05). However, there were significant differences between the frictional resistance values of Colgate® Total® Pro Gum Health and Colgate® Anticavity toothpastes with that of the control group (P<0.05). The highest and lowest frictional resistance values were related to Colgate® Total® Pro Gum Health toothpaste and the control group, respectively.
Conclusions: Among the evaluated toothpastes, the orthodontic toothpastes did not increase the frictional resistance between the orthodontic stainless steel brackets and wires.
- Khoury ES, Abboud M, Bassil-Nassif N, Bouserhal J. Effect of a two-year fluoride decay protection protocol on titanium brackets. Int Orthod. 2011 Dec;9(4):432-51.
- Huang HH. Variation in surface topography of different NiTi orthodontic archwires in various commercial fluoride-containing environments. Dent Mater. 2007 Jan;23(1):24-33.
- White DJ, Schneiderman E, Colón E, St John S. A profilometry-based dentifrice abrasion method for V8 brushing machines. Part I: Introduction to RDA-PE. J Clin Dent. 2015;26(1):1-6.
- Brandão GA, Simas RM, de Almeida LM, da Silva JM, Meneghim Mde C, Pereira AC, et al. Evaluation of ionic degradation and slot corrosion of metallic brackets by the action of different dentifrices. Dental Press J Orthod. 2013 Jan-Feb;18(1):86-93.
- Hosseinzadeh Nik T, Hooshmand T, Farazdaghi H, Mehrabi A, Razavi ES. Effect of chlorhexidine-containing prophylactic agent on the surface characterization and frictional resistance between orthodontic brackets and archwires: an in vitro study. Prog Orthod. 2013 Nov;14(1):48.
- Bednar JR, Gruendeman GW, Sandrik JL. A comparative study of frictional forces between orthodontic brackets and archwires. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1991 Dec;100(6):513-22.
- Ho KS, West VC. Frictional resistance between edgewise brackets and archwires. Aust Orthod J. 1991 Oct;12(2):95-9.
- Vaughan JL, Duncanson MG Jr, Nanda RS, Currier GF. Relative kinetic frictional forces between sintered stainless steel brackets and orthodontic wires. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1995 Jan;107(1):20-7.
- Kao CT, Ding SJ, Wang CK, He H, Chou MY, Huang TH. Comparison of frictional resistance after immersion of metal brackets and orthodontic wires in a fluoride-containing prophylactic agent. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006 Nov;130(5):568.e1-9.
- Kao CT, Guo JU, Huang TH. Comparison of friction force between corroded and noncorroded titanium nitride plating of metal brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011 May;139(5):594-600.
- Iijima M, Yuasa T, Endo K, Muguruma T, Ohno H, Mizoguchi I. Corrosion behavior of ion implanted nickel-titanium orthodontic wire in fluoride mouth rinse solutions. Dent Mater J. 2010 Jan;29(1):53-8.
- Lee TH, Huang TK, Lin SY, Chen LK, Chou MY, Huang HH. Corrosion resistance of different nickel-titanium archwires in acidic fluoride-containing artificial saliva. Angle Orthod. 2010 May;80(3):547-53.
- Kinoshita RYO, Sgura R, Reis MC, Masuda MS, Prazeres PSL, Júnior WR, et al. Effect of whitening dentifrices on surface roughness of dental nanofiller-based composites. Stereomicroscopy and AFM analysis. Braz Dent Sci. 2016 Jul-Sep;19(3):65-74.
- Barbieri GM, Mota EG, Rodrigues-Junior SA, Burnett LH Jr. Effect of whitening dentifrices on the surface roughness of commercial composites. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2011 Oct;23(5):338-45.
- ISO 11609:2017 (en). Dentistry-Dentifrices-Requirements, test methods and marking. Available at: https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:11609:ed-3:v1:en/ Publication date: June 2017.
- Alavi S, Farahi A. Effect of fluoride on friction between bracket and wire. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2011 Dec;8(Suppl 1):S37-42.
- Frank CA, Nikolai RJ. A comparative study of frictional resistance between orthodontic bracket and arch wire. Am J Orthod. 1980 Dec;78(6):593-609.
- Nishio C, da Motta AF, Elias CN, Mucha JN. In
vitro evaluation of frictional forces between archwires and ceramic bracket. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2004 Jan;125(1):56-64.
- Moghareh-Abed A, Izadi M, Kaveh M, Tavakoli M, Yaghini J. Comparative study investigating abrasive effects of 12 commercially available toothpastes on enamel, in Iran. J Mash Dent Sch. 2012; 36(3): 239-48
- Yaghini J, Izadi M, Moghareh-Abed A, Ebrahim H, Foroughi S. Comparing effects of four toothpaste types (Nasim, Crest 7, Crest Sensitivity and Daroghar3) on rate of enamel abrasion. J Shahid Sadoughi Univ Med Sci (JSSU), 2015 Mar-Apr;23(1):1755-1763.
- Saunders CR, Kusy RP. Surface topography and frictional characteristics of ceramic brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1994 Jul;106(1):76-87.
- Prososki RR, Bagby MD, Erickson LC. Static frictional force and surface roughness of nickel-titanium arch wires. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1991 Oct;100(4):341-8.
- Doshi UH, Bhad-Patil WA. Static frictional force and surface roughness of various bracket and wire combinations. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011 Jan;139(1):74-9.
|Issue||Vol 14, No 5 (2017)|
|Orthodontic Brackets Orthodontic Wires Friction Toothpastes Stainless Steel|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|