Preventive Orientation of Iraqi Dentists in Baghdad in 2016
Objectives: The aim of the present study was to assess the preventive orientation of Iraqi dentists in terms of their “knowledge” and “attitude” towards caries prevention and to explore their “preventive practice”.
Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional study based on a self-administered questionnaire was conducted among 159 dentists who worked in Baghdad during the summer of 2016. The questionnaires obtained information on variables such as knowledge and attitude towards preventive dentistry, preventive practice and demographic variables and were distributed during the official working time. Logistic and multiple regressions served for statistical analyses.
Results: From all the respondents, 71% were females and the response rate was 94% (n=150). The mean age was 40.75±9.88 years (range 27-65 years). After checking for completeness, 90 questionnaires remained for data analysis. The most positive attitude towards preventive dental care was related to the question: “whether preventive dentistry is essential for the community” (n=75, 83%). The highest knowledge was reported in response to three questions: “frequency vs. amount of sugar consumption”, “effect of sealant on caries prevention of newly erupted molars” and “effect of dental problems on general health” (n=83, 92.2%). The regression analysis showed a significant association between attendance in the continuing educational courses and preventive practice (P=0.03).
Conclusions: To improve preventive dental orientation of Iraqi dentists, dental schools should put more emphasis on the topics about preventive dentistry. This will consequently improve their practice and oral health of the community.
- Petersen PE. The World Oral Health Report 2003: Continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century - The approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003 Dec;31 Suppl 1:3-23.
- Fejerskov O, Kid E. Dental Caries, The disease and its clinical management. Third ed., Oxford, John Wiley & Sons, 2015:466.
- Selwitz RH, Ismail AI, Pitts NB. Dental caries. Lancet. 2007 Jan;369(9555):51-9.
- Action for Dental Health : Bringing Disease Prevention into Communities. American Dental Association. 2013.
- Pitts N. Preventive and minimal intervention dentistry in the undergraduate curriculum. J Dent. 2011 Dec;39 Suppl 2:S41-8.
- Pantke A. [Preventive dentistry--actually more than 100 years old]. Oralprophylaxe. 1989 Dec;11(4):149-53.
- Wagle M, Acharya G, Basnet P, Trovik TA. Knowledge about preventive dentistry versus self-reported competence in providing preventive oral healthcare – a study among Nepalese dentists. BMC Oral Health. 2017 Apr;17(1):76.
- Ahuja N, Pramila M, Krishnamurthy A, Umashankar GK, Ranganath, Sharma N. Knowledge and attitude towards preventive dental care among dental faculties in Bangalore city. J Indian Assoc Public Heal Dent. 2014 Apr;12(2):93-99.
- Yusuf H, Tsakos G, Ntouva A, Murphy M, Porter J, Newton T, et al. Differences by age and sex in general dental practitioners’ knowledge, attitudes and behaviours in delivering prevention. British Dent J. 2015 Sep;219(6):E7.
- Ghasemi H1, Murtomaa H, Torabzadeh H, Vehkalahti MM. Risk-based approach in preventive practice among Iranian dentists. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2008;6(1):53-60.
- Folayan MO, Khami MR, Folaranmi N, Orenuga O, Popoola BO, Olatosi O, et al. Determinants of preventive dental practice for children among final-year dental students in Nigeria. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2014 Jan;24(1):43-50.
- Halboub ES, Al-Maweri SA, Al-Jamaei AA, Al-Wesabi MA, Shamala A, Al-Kamel A, et al. Self-reported oral health attitudes and behavior of dental and medical students, Yemen. Glob J Health Sci. 2016 Oct;8(10):56676.
- Muthu J, Priyadarshini G, Muthanandam S, Ravichndran S, Balu P. Evaluation of oral health attitude and behavior among a group of dental students in Puducherry, India: A preliminary cross-sectional study. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2015 Nov;19(6):683-686.
- Nagarajappa R, Sanadhya S, Batra M, Daryani H, Ramesh G, Aapaliya P. Perceived barriers to the provision of preventive care among dentists of Udaipur, India. J Clin Exp Dent. 2015 Feb;7(1):e74-9.
- Suga USG, Terada RSS, Ubaldini ALM, Fujimaki M, Pascotto RC, Batilana AP, et al. Factors that drive dentists towards or away from dental caries preventive measures: Systematic review and metasummary. PLoS One. 2014 Oct;9(10):e107831.
- Al-Ghalebi SN, El-Samarrai SK. Oral health status and treatment needs in relation to nutritional status among 9-10 year-old school children in Nassiryia City/Iraq. J Baghdad Coll Dent. 2012;24(1):133-7.
- Al-Hassnawi AK, Al-Waheb AM. Socioeconomic status in relation to dental caries in Dewanyiah governorate among 12 years old school students. J Baghdad Coll Dent. 2014 Jun;26(2):131-4.
- Al-Mendalawi MD, Karam NT. Risk factors associated with deciduous tooth decay in Iraqi preschool children. Avicenna J Med. 2014 Jan;4(1):5-8.
- Benzian W. Oral Health Atlas., 2nd ed., Geneva, FDI World Dental Federation, 2015:16.
- Matloob MH. Dental caries in Iraqi 12-year-olds and background fluoride exposure. Community Dent Health. 2015 Sep;32(3):163-9.
- Szklo M, Nieto J. Epidemiology, Beyond the basics. 3rd ed., Burlington, Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2014:79.
- Ghasemi H, Murtomaa H, Torabzadeh H, Vehkalahti MM. Knowledge of and attitudes towards preventive dental care among Iranian dentists. Eur J Dent. 2007 Oct;1(4):222-9.
-Strauss RP, Stein MB, Edwards J, Nies KC. The impact of community-based dental education on students. J Dent Educ. 2010 Oct;74(10 Suppl):S42-55.
- Khami M, Murtomaa H, Razeghi S, Virtanen JI. Attitude towards preventive dentistry among Iranian senior dental students. J Dent (Tehran). 2012 Fall;9(4):189-95.
- Pakdaman A, Yarahmadi Z, Kharazifard MJ. Self-Reported Knowledge and Attitude of Dentists towards Prescription of Fluoride. J Dent (Tehran). 2015 Aug;12(8):550-6.
- Metz MJ, Miller CJ, Lin WS, Abdel-Azim T, Zandinejad A, Crim GA. Dental student perception and assessment of their clinical knowledge in educating patients about preventive dentistry. Eur J Dent Educ. 2015 May;19(2):81-6.
- Arheiam A, Bankia I, Ingafou M. Perceived competency towards preventive dentistry among dental graduates: the need for curriculum change. Libyan J Med. 2015 Jan;10(1):26666.
- Barrieshi-Nusair K, Alomari Q, Said K. Dental health attitudes and behavior among dental students in Jordan. Community Dent Heal. 2006 Sep;23(3):147-51.
|Issue||Vol 14, No 5 (2017)|
|Knowledge Attitude Dentists Preventive Dentistry Iraq|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|