Effect of Calcium Hypochlorite and Sodium Hypochlorite as Root Canal Irrigants on Push-Out Bond Strength of Fiber Post Cemented with Etch-and-Rinse Resin Cement: An In Vitro Study
Objectives: Calcium hypochlorite (CH) has been recently used as a root canal irrigant. The aim of the present study was to compare the effect of CH and sodium hypochlorite (SH), as root canal irrigants, on the push-out bond strength of fiber posts cemented with an etch-and-rinse resin cement.
Materials and Methods: In this experimental in-vitro study, 40 human anterior teeth with similar root lengths were randomly divided into five groups (N=8) according to the protocol of root canal irrigation as follows: group 1: saline (control); group 2: 2.5% SH; group 3: 5.25% SH; group 4: 2.5% CH; group 5: 5% CH. Before post placement, the post space was irrigated using the same irrigation protocol, and after that, they were irrigated by distilled water. Fiber posts were cemented with All-Bond 3 bonding and Dou-Link Universal cement. After thermocycling (1000 cycles, 5-55°C), a push-out test was performed, and data were analyzed using one-way analysis of variance and Tukey's post-hoc test with SPSS version 23 (α=0.05).
Results: The highest and lowest mean bond strengths were detected in groups 2 and 5, respectively. There was no significant difference between group 1 and the SH groups (P>0.05), but the difference between group 1 and the CH groups was significant (P<0.001). There was a significant difference between SH groups and CH groups (P<0.001).
Conclusion: Compared to SH, as a root canal irrigant, CH decreased the push-out bond strength of fiber posts cemented with an etch-and-rinse resin cement.
2. Narayan GS, Venkatesan SM, Karumaran CS, Indira R, Ramachandran S, Srinivasan MR. A comparative evaluation on the cleaning and shaping ability of three nickel titanium rotary instruments using computerized tomography - An ex vivo study. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012 Sep;3(Suppl 2):S151-5.
3. Okino LA, Siqueira EL, Santos M, Bombana AC, Figueiredo JA. Dissolution of pulp tissue by aqueous solution of chlorhexidine digluconate and chlorhexidine digluconate gel. Int Endod J. 2004 Jan;37(1):38-41.
4. Niazi SA, Clark D, Do T, Gilbert SC, Foschi F, Mannocci F, et al. The effectiveness of enzymic irrigation in removing a nutrient-stressed endodontic multispecies biofilm. Int Endod J. 2014 Aug;47(8):756-68.
5. Dutta A, Saunders WP. Comparative evaluation of calcium hypochlorite and sodium hypochlorite on soft-tissue dissolution. J Endod. 2012 Oct;38(10):1395-8.
6. Tanomaru Filho M, Leonardo MR, Silva LA, Aníbal FF, Faccioli LH. Inflammatory response to different endodontic irrigating solutions. Int Endod J. 2002 Sep;35(9):735-9.
7. Moreira DM, Almeida JF, Ferraz CC, Gomes BP, Line SR, Zaia AA. Structural analysis of bovine root dentin after use of different endodontics auxiliary chemical substances. J Endod. 2009 Jul;35(7):1023-7.
8. Gu XH, Mao CY, Liang C, Wang HM, Kern M. Does endodontic post space irrigation affect smear layer removal and bonding effectiveness? Eur J Oral Sci. 2009 Oct;117(5):597-603.
9. Ferrari M. Fiber Posts and Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Compendium of Scientific and Clinical Perspectives. South Africa: Modern Dentistry Media.2008.
10. Rasimick BJ, Wan J, Musikant BL, Deutsch AS. A review of failure modes in teeth restored with adhesively luted endodontic dowels. J Prosthodont. 2010 Dec;19(8):639-46.
11. Tay FR, Loushine RJ, Lambrechts P, Weller RN, Pashley DH. Geometric factors affecting dentin bonding in root canals: a theoretical modeling approach. J Endod. 2005 Aug;31(8):584-9.
12. Mjör IA, Smith MR, Ferrari M, Mannocci F. The structure of dentine in the apical region of human teeth. Int Endod J. 2001 Jul;34(5):346-53.
13. Perdigão J, Gomes G, Augusto V. The effect of dowel space on the bond strengths of fiber posts. J Prosthodont. 2007 May-Jun;16(3):154-64.
14. Peñas E, Gómez R, Frías J, Vidal-Valverde C. Effects of combined treatments of high pressure, temperature and antimicrobial products on germination of mung bean seeds and microbial quality of sprouts. Food Control. 2010;21(1):82-8.
15. Nwaukwa SO, Keehn PM. The oxidation of alcohols and ethers using calcium hypochlorite [Ca (OCl) 2]. Tetrahedron Lett. 1982;23(1):35-8.
16. Ferreira MB, Carlini Júnior B, Galafassi D, Gobbi DL. Calcium hypochlorite as a dentin deproteinization agent: Microleakage, scanning electron microscopy and elemental analysis. Microsc Res Tech. 2015 Aug;78(8):676-81.
17. Görduysus M, Küçükkaya S, Bayramgil NP, Görduysus MÖ. Evaluation of the effects of two novel irrigants on intraradicular dentine erosion, debris and smear layer removal. Restor Dent Endod. 2015 Aug;40(3):216-22.
18. de Almeida AP, Souza MA, Miyagaki DC, Dal Bello Y, Cecchin D, Farina AP. Comparative evaluation of calcium hypochlorite and sodium hypochlorite associated with passive ultrasonic irrigation on antimicrobial activity of a root canal system infected with Enterococcus faecalis: an in vitro study. J Endod. 2014 Dec;40(12):1953-7.
19. Schmidt MHM, Sallenave RF, Demarchi A, Farina AP, Cecchin D, Souza MA. Effectiveness of different auxiliary chemical substances in the rapid disinfection of gutta-percha points-an in-vitro study. Rev Fac Odontol. 2015;20(1):64-8.
20. Sedigh-Shams M, Gholami A, Abbaszadegan A, Yazdanparast R, Saberi Nejad M, Safari A, et al. Antimicrobial Efficacy and Cytocompatibility of Calcium Hypochlorite Solution as a Root Canal Irrigant: An in Vitro Investigation. Iran Endod J. 2016 Summer;11(3):169-74.
21. Leonardo NG, Carlotto IB, Luisi SB, Kopper PM, Grecca FS, Montagner F. Calcium Hypochlorite Solutions: Evaluation of Surface Tension and Effect of Different Storage Conditions and Time Periods over pH and Available Chlorine Content. J Endod. 2016 Apr;42(4):641-5.
22. Sakae T, Mishima H, Kozawa Y. Changes in bovine dentin mineral with sodium hypochlorite treatment. J Dent Res. 1988 Sep;67(9):1229-34.
23. Dai L, Khechen K, Khan S, Gillen B, Loushine BA, Wimmer CE, et al. The effect of QMix, an experimental antibacterial root canal irrigant, on removal of canal wall smear layer and debris. J Endod. 2011 Jan;37(1):80-4.
24. Neelakantan P, Subbarao C, Subbarao CV, De-Deus G, Zehnder M. The impact of root dentine conditioning on sealing ability and push-out bond strength of an epoxy resin root canal sealer. Int Endod J. 2011 Jun;44(6):491-8.
25. Slutzky-Goldberg I, Maree M, Liberman R, Heling I. Effect of sodium hypochlorite on dentin microhardness. J Endod. 2004 Dec;30(12):880-2.
26. Perdigão J, Lopes M, Geraldeli S, Lopes GC,
García-Godoy F. Effect of a sodium hypochlorite gel on dentin bonding. Dent Mater. 2000 Sep;16(5):311-23.
27. Goracci C, Raffaelli O, Monticelli F, Balleri B, Bertelli E, Ferrari M. The adhesion between prefabricated FRC posts and composite resin cores: micro-tensile bond strength with and without post-silanization. Dent Mater. 2005 May;21(5):437-44.
28. Phrukkanon S, Burrow MF, Hartley PG, Tyas MJ. The influence of the modification of etched bovine dentin on bond strengths. Dent Mater. 2000 Jul;16(4):255-65.
29. Bitter K, Hambarayan A, Neumann K, Blunck U, Sterzenbach G. Various irrigation protocols for final rinse to improve bond strengths of fiber posts inside the root canal. Eur J Oral Sci. 2013 Aug;121(4):349-54.
30. Khoroushi M, Sheikhi M, Khalilian-Gourtani A, Soleimani B. Effect of root canal rinsing protocol on dentin bond strength of two resin cements using three different method of test. J Clin Exp Dent. 2016 Jul 1;8(3):e246-54.
31. Cobankara FK, Ozkan HB, Terlemez A. Comparison of organic tissue dissolution capacities of sodium hypochlorite and chlorine dioxide. J Endod. 2010 Feb;36(2):272-4.
32. Oliveira JS, Raucci Neto W, Faria NS, Fernandes FS, Miranda CE, Abi Rached-Junior FJ. Quantitative assessment of root canal roughness with calcium-based hypochlorite irrigants by 3D CLSM. Braz Dent J. 2014 Sep-Oct;25(5):409-15.
33. Zhang K, Tay FR, Kim YK, Mitchell JK, Kim JR, Carrilho M, et al. The effect of initial irrigation with two different sodium hypochlorite concentrations on the erosion of instrumented radicular dentin. Dent Mater. 2010 Jun;26(6):514-23.
34. Vilanova WV, Carvalho-Junior JR, Alfredo E, Sousa-Neto MD, Silva-Sousa YT. Effect of intracanal irrigants on the bond strength of epoxy resin-based and methacrylate resin-based sealers to root canal walls. Int Endod J. 2012 Jan;45(1):42-8.
35. Estrela C, Estrela CR, Barbin EL, Spanó JC, Marchesan MA, Pécora JD. Mechanism of action of sodium hypochlorite. Braz Dent J. 2002;13(2):113-7.
36. Tay FR, Suh BI, Pashley DH, Prati C, Chuang SF, Li F. Factors contributing to the incompatibility between simplified-step adhesives and self-cured or dual-cured composites. Part II. Single-bottle, total-etch adhesive. J Adhes Dent. 2003 Summer;5(2):91-105.
|Calcium Hypochlorite Resin Cements Dental Bonding Root Canal Irrigation Sodium Hypochlorite|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|