Effect of Different Surface Treatments and Pressure Conditions on Shear Bond Strength of Zirconia Ceramic to Composite Resin
Objectives: The aim of this study was to assess the shear bond strength (SBS) of zirconia ceramic to composite resin with various surface treatments following pressure changes.
Materials and Methods: Totally, 135 zirconia blocks were prepared by computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing technology. The samples were divided into 9 groups (n=15). Three surface treatments including sandblasting, tribo-chemical preparation, and laser application were used. For each method, 45 samples were considered and tested under different pressure conditions. Z-Prime Plus primer was used for bonding of all samples to composite cylinders. All specimens were stored in water for 24 h, underwent thermocycling, and were then placed in a pressure chamber under normal-, high-, and low-pressure conditions. Then, the SBS test was performed for each sample. Data were analyzed by two-way and one-way ANOVA (α=0.05).
Results: The SBS was significantly higher in sandblasting and tribochemical preparation compared with laser irradiation (P<0.05). There was no statistically significant difference in SBS of sandblasting and tribochemical preparation methods (P>0.05). Sandblasting, tribochemical preparation, and laser methods did not show a significant difference in SBS at different pressures (P>0.05).
Conclusion: Sandblasting and tribochemical preparation yielded a higher SBS than laser. Different pressures had no effect on SBS, irrespective of surface preparation method.
2. Ferraris M, Verné E, Appendino P, Moisescu C, Krajewski A, Ravaglioli A, et al. Coatings on zirconia for medical applications. Biomaterials. 2000 Apr;21(8):765-73.
3. Blatz MB, Sadan A, Arch GH Jr, Lang BR. In vitro evaluation of long-term bonding of Procera AllCeram alumina restorations with a modified resin luting agent. J Prosthet Dent. 2003 Apr;89(4):381-7.
4. Piconi C, Maccauro G. Zirconia as a ceramic biomaterial. Biomaterials. 1999 Jan;20(1):1-25.
5. Guazzato M, Quach L, Albakry M, Swain MV. Influence of surface and heat treatments on the flexural strength of Y-TZP dental ceramic. J Dent. 2005 Jan;33(1):9-18.
6. Yang B, Barloi A, Kern M. Influence of air-abrasion on zirconia ceramic bonding using an adhesive composite resin. Dent Mater. 2010 Jan;26(1):44-50.
7. Miyazaki T, Nakamura T, Matsumura H, Ban S, Kobayashi T. Current status of zirconia restoration. J Prosthodont Res. 2013 Oct;57(4):236-61.
8. Attia A, Lehmann F, Kern M. Influence of surface conditioning and cleaning methods on resin bonding to zirconia ceramic. Dent Mater. 2011 Mar;27(3):207-13.
9. Inokoshi M, De Munck J, Minakuchi S, Van Meerbeek B. Meta-analysis of bonding effectiveness to zirconia ceramics. J Dent Res. 2014 Apr;93(4):329-34.
10. McLaren EA, Giordano RA. Zirconia-based ceramics: material properties, esthetics and layering techniques of a new veneering porcelain, VM9. Quintessence Dent Technol. 2005;28:99-111.
11. Raigrodski AJ. Contemporary all-ceramic fixed partial dentures: a review. Dent Clin North Am. 2004 Apr;48(2):viii, 531-44.
12. 12. Miller JD, Hoh KP, Ishida H. Studies of the simulation of silane coupling agent structures on particulate fillers; the pH effect. Polym Compos. 1984 Jan;5(1):18-28.
13. Lee JH, Lee M, Kim KN, Hwang CJ. Resin bonding of metal brackets to glazed zirconia with a porcelain primer. Korean J Orthod. 2015 Nov;45(6):299-307.
14. Boudrias P. The yttrium tetragonal zirconia polycrystals (Y-TZP) infrastructure: The new chapter in the search for a metal framewor replacement. J Dent Québec. 2005;42:172-6.
15. Komine F, Blatz MB, Matsumura H. Current status of zirconia-based fixed restorations. J Oral Sci. 2010 Dec;52(4):531-9.
16. Dérand P, Dérand T. Bond strength of luting cements to zirconium oxide ceramics. Int J Prosthodont. 2000 Mar-Apr;13(2):131-5.
17. Akgungor G, Sen D, Aydin M. Influence of different surface treatments on the short-term bond strength and durability between a zirconia post and a composite resin core material. J Prosthet Dent. 2008 May;99(5):388-99.
18. Cheng H, Dong C, Zhang FQ. Influence of tribochemical silica coating on shear bond strength of a dental zirconia ceramic to resin cements. Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue. 2018 Jun;27(3):248-251.
19. Dilber E, Yavuz T, Kara HB, Ozturk AN. Comparison of the effects of surface treatments on roughness of two ceramic systems. Photomed Laser Surg. 2012 Jun;30(6):308-14.
20. Yavuz T, Özyılmaz ÖY, Dilber E, Tobi ES, Kiliç HŞ. Effect of different surface treatments on porcelain-resin bond strength. J Prosthodont. 2017 Jul;26(5):446-54.
21. Cavalcanti AN, Foxton RM, Watson TF, Oliveira MT, Giannini M, Marchi GM. Bond strength of resin cements to a zirconia ceramic with different surface treatments. Oper Dent. 2009 May-Jun;34(3):280-7.
22. Eduardo Cde P, Bello-Silva MS, Moretto SG, Cesar PF, de Freitas PM. Microtensile bond strength of composite resin to glass-infiltrated alumina composite conditioned with Er,Cr:YSGG laser. Lasers Med Sci. 2012 Jan;27(1):7-14.
23. Christel P, Meunier A, Heller M, Torre JP, Peille CN. Mechanical properties and short-term in-vivo evaluation of yttrium-oxide-partially-stabilized zirconia. J Biomed Mater Res. 1989 Jan;23(1):45-61.
24. Cavalcanti AN, Foxton RM, Watson TF, Oliveira MT, Giannini M, Marchi GM. Bond strength of resin cements to a zirconia ceramic with different surface treatments. Oper Dent. 2009 May-Jun;34(3):280-7.
25. Uo M, Sjögren G, Sundh A, Watari F, Bergman M, Lerner U. Cytotoxicity and bonding property of dental ceramics. Dent Mater. 2003 Sep;19(6):487-92.
26. Lee DJ, Shin IJ. Effects of vacuum, mold temperature and cooling rate on mechanical properties of press consolidated glass fiber/PET composite. Composites Part A: Appl Sci Manuf. 2002 Aug;33(8):1107-14.
27. Tanış MÇ, Akay C, Karakış D. Resin cementation of zirconia ceramics with different bonding agents. Biotechnol Biotechnol Equip. 2015 Mar;29(2):363-7.
28. Lüthy H, Loeffel O, Hammerle CH. Effect of thermocycling on bond strength of luting cements to zirconia ceramic. Dent Mater. 2006 Feb;22(2):195-200.
29. Łagodzińska P, Bociong K, Dejak B. Influence of primers' chemical composition on shear bond strength of resin cement to zirconia ceramic. Polim Med. 2014 Jan-Mar;44(1):13-20.
30. Sharafeddin F, Shoale S. Effects of universal and conventional MDP primers on the shear bond strength of zirconia ceramic and nanofilled composite resin. J Dent (Shiraz). 2018 Mar;19(1):48-56.
31. Lee JY, Kim JS, Hwang CJ. Comparison of
shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets using various zirconia primers. Korean J Orthod. 2015 Jul;45(4):164-70.
32. Kwak JY, Jung HK, Choi IK, Kwon TY. Orthodontic bracket bonding to glazed full-contour zirconia. Restor Dent Endod. 2016 May;41(2):106-13.
33. Yassaei S, Moradi F, Aghili H, Kamran MH. Shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets bonded to porcelain following etching with Er:YAG laser versus hydrofluoric acid. Orthodontics (Chic.). 2013;14(1):e82-7.
34. Tanış MÇ, Akçaboy C. Effects of different surface treatment methods and MDP monomer on resin cementation of zirconia ceramics an in vitro study. J Lasers Med Sci. 2015 Fall;6(4):174-81.
35. Akın H, Ozkurt Z, Kırmalı O, Kazazoglu E, Ozdemir AK. Shear bond strength of resin cement to zirconia ceramic after aluminum oxide sandblasting and various laser treatments. Photomed Laser Surg. 2011 Dec;29(12):797-802.
36. Yi YA, Ahn JS, Park YJ, Jun SH, Lee IB, Cho BH, et al. The effect of sandblasting and different primers on shear bond strength between yttria-tetragonal zirconia polycrystal ceramic and a self-adhesive resin cement. Oper Dent. 2015 Jan-Feb;40(1):63-71.
37. Yassaei S, Aghili HA, Davari A, Mostafavi SM. Effect of four methods of surface treatment on shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets to zirconium. J Dent (Tehran). 2015 Apr;12(4):281-9.
38. Topcuoglu T, Oksayan R, Topcuoglu S, Coskun ME, Isman NE. Effect of Er:YAG laser pulse duration on shear bond strength of metal brackets bonded to a porcelain surface. Photomed Laser Surg. 2013 Jun;31(6):240-6.
|Air Abrasion Dental; Lasers Solid-State; Shear Strength; Zirconium Oxide|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|