Effect of an Educational Pamphlet on Knowledge and Performance of Fitness Trainers about Traumatic Dental Injuries
Objectives: Traumatic dental injuries (TDIs) commonly occur in sport clubs. The knowledge and performance of fitness trainers play an important role in management of such injuries. This study sought to assess the effect of an educational pamphlet on knowledge level and performance of fitness trainers about TDIs in Tehran in 2018.
Materials and Methods: In this interventional study, a pamphlet was designed to enhance the knowledge level of fitness trainers. Ninety-five fitness trainers were randomly divided into two groups of intervention and control (n=49 in the control group and n=46 in the interventional group), and were requested to fill out a valid and reliable researcher-designed questionnaire about TDIs before and 1 month after pamphlet distribution. The questionnaire consisted of three domains of demographic information, knowledge questions, and performance questions. The results were analyzed using SPSS 25 via the Chi-square test and repeated measures ANOVA considering the intervention as the between-subject factor.
Results: The knowledge score of fitness trainers about TDIs was not adequately high in the intervention or the control group before the intervention. After the intervention, the performance of participants improved in both groups. This increase was significantly greater in the intervention group (P=0.035). There was no significant difference between the two groups in the knowledge domain (P=0.185).
Conclusion: Educational pamphlets can effectively enhance the knowledge level of fitness trainers about TDIs. However, the magnitude of this effect was not significant in our study. Future studies are recommended to compare the efficacy of educational pamphlets with other educational tools.
2. Navabazam A, Farahani SS. Prevalence of traumatic injuries to maxillary permanent teeth in 9‐to 14‐year‐old school children in Yazd, Iran. Dent Traumatol. 2010 Apr;26(2):154-7.
3. Flores MT, Andreasen JO, Bakland LK, Feiglin B, Gutmann JL, Oikarinen K, et al. Guidelines for the evaluation and Management of traumatic dental injuries Editors Note. Dent Traumatol. 2001 Feb;17(5):193-6.
4. Andreasen JO, Andreasen FM, Andersson L. Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth. Denmark, Blackwell Munksgaard, 2007:615.
5. Skaare AB, Jacobsen I. Dental injuries in Norwegians aged 7–18 years. Dent Traumatol. 2003 Apr;19(2):67-71.
6. Oluwole TO, Leverett DH. Clinical and epidemiological survey of adolescents with crown fractures of permanent anterior teeth. Pediatr Dent. 1986 Sep;8(3):221-5.
7. Rocha MJ, Cardoso M. Traumatized permanent teeth in Brazilian children assisted at the Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil. Dent Traumatol. 2001 Dec;17(6):245-9.
8. Traebert J, Peres MA, Blank V, Böell Rda S, Pietruza JA. Prevalence of traumatic dental injury and associated factors among 12‐year‐old school children in Florianópolis, Brazil. Dent Traumatol. 2003 Feb;19(1):15-8.
9. Touré B, Benoist FL, Faye B, Kane A, Kaadioui S. Primary school teachers’ knowledge regarding emergency management of avulsed permanent incisors. J Dent (Tehran). 2011;8(3):117-22.
10. Glendor U. Etiology and risk factors related to traumatic dental injuries–a review of the literature. Dent Traumatol. 2009 Feb;25(1):19-31.
11. Pacheco LF, Filho PF, Letra A, Menezes R, Villoria GE, Ferreira SM. Evaluation of the knowledge of the treatment of avulsions in elementary school teachers in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Dent Traumatol. 2003 Apr;19(2):76-8.
12. Al‐Asfour A, Andersson L, Al‐Jame Q. School teachers’ knowledge of tooth avulsion and dental first aid before and after receiving information about avulsed teeth and replantation. Dent Traumatol. 2008 Feb;24(1):43-9.
13. Arikan V, Sönmez H. Knowledge level of primary school teachers regarding traumatic dental injuries and their emergency management before and after receiving an informative leaflet. Dent Traumatol. 2012 Apr;28(2):101-7.
14. Ghadimi S, Seraj B, Keshavarz H, Shamshiri AR, Abiri R. The effect of using an educational poster on elementary school health teachers’ knowledge of emergency management of traumatic dental injuries. J Dent (Tehran). 2014 Nov;11(6):620-8.
15. Rouhani A, Akbari M, Ghoddusi J, Rahmandust MR. Knowledge of sportsmen and coaches about dental trauma in 2011 in Mashhad. J Isfahan Dent Sch. 2015;11(3):239-47.
16. Mohandas U, Chandan GD. Knowledge, attitude and practice in emergency management of dental injury among physical education teachers: a survey in Bangalore urban schools. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2009 Oct-Dec;27(4):242-8.
17. Chan AW, Wong TK, Cheung GS. Lay knowledge of physical education teachers about the emergency management of dental trauma in Hong Kong. Dent Traumatol. 2001 Apr;17(2):77-85.
18. Moieni P, Kharazifard MJ, Rafii AM, Sadra E. Evaluation of martial arts instructor knowledge about tooth avulsion and associated factors in stadiums of Tehran in 2009. Res Dent Sci. 2013;9(4):219-23.
19. Lang B, Pohl Y, Filippi A. Knowledge and prevention of dental trauma in team handball in Switzerland and Germany. Dent Traumatol. 2002 Dec;18(6):329-34.
20. Raoof M, Zaherara F, Shokouhinejad N, Mohammadalizadeh S. Elementary school staff knowledge and attitude with regard to first‐aid management of dental trauma in Iran: a basic premise for developing future intervention. Dent Traumatol. 2012 Dec;28(6):441-7.
21. Çaglar E, Ferreira LP, Kargul B. Dental trauma management knowledge among a group of teachers in two south European cities. Dent Traumatol. 2005 Oct;21(5):258-62.
22. Vahhabi S, Khoshsar R. Evaluation of nowledge of health coaches of Tehran, s elementary schools about Dental Trauma emergencies in year 2002-2003 [dissertation]. J Res Dent Sci. 2003;3(313):20-9.
23. Sae‐Lim V, Lim LP. Dental trauma management awareness of Singapore pre‐school teachers. Dent Traumatol. 2001 Apr;17(2):71-6.
24. Mesgarzadeh AH, Shahamfar M, Hefzollesan A. Evaluating knowledge and attitudes of elementary school teachers on emergency management of traumatic dental injuries: a study in an Iranian urban area. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2009;7(3):297-308.
25. McIntyre JD, Lee JY, Trope M, Vann WF Jr. Effectiveness of dental trauma education for elementary school staff. Dent Traumatol. 2008 Apr;24(2):146-50.
|Child Injuries Awareness Fitness Centers|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|