Effect of Primary Molar Caries on Caries Development in the Adjacent Permanent First Molars
Objectives: Dental caries is among the most common chronic diseases of the childhood. This study sought to assess the effect of caries experience in primary molars on caries development in the adjacent permanent first molars.
Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study evaluated 413 students aged 7 and 8 years. Clinical dental examination was performed by two independent examiners using disposable dental instruments and a head light. Dental caries was evaluated using the International Caries Detection and Assessment System (ICDAS) for all four permanent first molars and the decayed, missing, and filled teeth (dmft) index for the primary molars. Data were analyzed using the Pearson’s Chi-squared test and Fisher’s exact test.
Results: When primary first molars were sound, 22.9% of the permanent first molars of the same quadrant were sound. When primary second molars were sound, 25.7% of the adjacent permanent first molars were sound. A carious primary second molar had a stronger correlation with development of dentin caries in the adjacent permanent first molar than a carious primary first molar (P<0.001).
Conclusion: The current results confirmed that carious primary molars can significantly affect caries development in the adjacent permanent first molars, and a carious primary second molar has a significantly greater effect than a carious primary first molar in this respect. Thus, special attention should be paid to oral hygiene and proper tooth brushing of primary molars, particularly second molars.
2. Molina-Frechero N, Castañeda-Castaneira E, Marques-Dos-Santos MJ, Soria-Hernández A, Bologna-Molina R. Dental caries and risk factors in adolescents of Ecatepec in the State of Mexico. Rev Invest Clin. 2009 Jul;61(4):300-5.
3. da Silva Tagliaferro EP, Pardi V, Ambrosano GM, de Castro Meneghim M, Pereira AC. An overview of caries risk assessment in 0-18 year-olds over the last ten years (1997-2007). Braz J Oral Sci. 2008;7(27):1682-90.
4. Ekstrand KR, Gimenez T, Ferreira FR, Mendes FM, Braga MM. The International Caries Detection and Assessment System - ICDAS: A systematic review. Caries Res. 2018;52(5):406-19.
5. Pitts NB, Ekstrand KR, ICDAS Foundation. International Caries Detection and Assessment System (ICDAS) and its International Caries Classification and Management System (ICCMS) - methods for staging of the caries process and enabling dentists to manage caries. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2013 Feb;41(1):e41-52.
6. Featherstone JD. Dental caries: a dynamic disease process. Aust Dent J. 2008 Sep;53(3):286-91.
7. Pauli LK, Aarabi G, Kriston L, Jansen A, Heydecke G, Reissmann DR. Clinical instruments and methods for assessing physical oral health: A systematic review. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2017 Aug;45(4):337-47.
8. Alsumait A, ElSalhy M, Amin M. Long-term effects of school-based oral health program on oral health knowledge and practices and oral health-related quality of life. Med Princ Pract. 2015;24(4):362-8.
9. Lin HK, Fang CE, Huang MS, Cheng HC, Huang TW, Chang HT, et al. Effect of maternal use of chewing gums containing xylitol on transmission of mutans streptococci in children: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2016 Jan;26(1):35-44.
10. WHO Expert Committee on Biological Standardization. Meeting, World Health Organization. WHO Expert Committee on Biological Standardization: Sixtieth Report. World Health Organization; 2013.
11. Leroy R, Bogaerts K, Lesaffre E, Declerck D. Effect of caries experience in primary molars on cavity formation in the adjacent permanent first molar. Caries Res. 2005 Sep-Oct;39(5):342-9.
12. Topaloglu-Ak A, Eden E. Caries in primary molars of 6−7-year-old Turkish children as risk indicators for future caries development in permanent molars. J Dent Sci 2010 Sep;5(3):150-5.
13. Li Y, Wang W. Predicting caries in permanent teeth from caries in primary teeth: an eight-year cohort study. J Dent Res. 2002 Aug;81(8):561-6.
14. Songur F, Derelioglu SS, Yilmaz S, Koşan Z. Assessing the impact of early childhood caries on the development of first permanent molar decays. Front Public Health. 2019;7:186.
15. Srinivasan D, Louis CJ. Evaluation of caries in deciduous second molar and adjacent permanent molar in mixed dentition. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2015 Aug;7(Suppl 2):S572-S5.
16. Doneria D, Thakur S, Singhal P, Chauhan D, Jayam C, Uppal A. Comparative Evaluation of Caries Status in Primary and Permanent Molars in 7-8-year-old Schoolchildren of Shimla Using Caries Assessment Spectrum and Treatment Index. Contemp Clin Dent. 2017 Jan;8(1):128-33.
|Oral health public health dental caries|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|