Job Satisfaction Among Dentists According to Workplace in Tehran
Objectives: The purpose of the present study was to assess the level of job satisfaction among dentists in Tehran, according to background determinants, working environment elements, and type of workplace in 2018.
Materials and Methods: In this cross-sectional study, 350 dentists, selected by convenience sampling, completed a validated Persian job satisfaction questionnaire in a dental congress (with about 1100 participants) in Tehran, and in 59 dental clinics. The questionnaire included 39 structured questions (in 12 domains) on job satisfaction, reporting the satisfaction level according to a 5-point Likert scale. The level of satisfaction was measured by summing the weighted scores of each domain. The mean job satisfaction score (out of 100) was reported according to demographic factors (age, gender, level of income, years of experience, marital status, and number of children), working environment elements (number of assistants, number of colleagues, type of workplace), and stress score (8 questions). Linear regression was applied for statistical analysis.
Results: The mean score of job satisfaction was 70±10. The analysis showed that women, dentists with a low income, those working in the public sector, and those with higher stress scores had lower job satisfaction scores (P<0.05). The number of dental assistants, number of colleagues, age, work experience, marital status, number of children, and monthly number of patients had no significant correlation with job satisfaction (P>0.05).
Conclusion: The level of job satisfaction was mainly related to individual determinants. Improving job satisfaction can foster the whole dental care system and working environment elements.
2. Khamisa N, Oldenburg B, Peltzer K, Ilic D. Work related stress, burnout, job satisfaction and general health of nurses. Res Enviro J Int. 2015 Jan;12(1):652-66.
3. Adriaenssens J, De Gucht V, Maes S. Determinants and prevalence of burnout in emergency nurses. A systematic review of 25 years of research. Res Environ J Int. 2015 Feb;52(2):649-61.
4. Naidu R, Newton JT, Ayers K. A comparison of career satisfaction amongst dental healthcare professionals across three health care systems. comparison of data from the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Trinidad & Tobago. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006 Dec;6(1):1-5.
5. Sur H, Hayran O, Mumcu G, Soylemez D, Atli H, Yildirim C. Factors affecting dental job satisfaction Jun: a cross-sectional survey in Turkey. Eval Health Prof. 2004 Jun;27(2):152-64.
6. Puriene A, Janulyte V, Musteikyte M, Bendinskaite R. General health of dentists. Literature review. Stomatologija, Baltic Dent Maxillofacial J. 2007 Mar;9(1):10-20.
7. Chang WJ, Chang YH. Patient satisfaction analysis, Identifying key drivers and enhancing service quality of dental care. J Dent Sci. 2013 Sep;8(3):239-47.
8. Lee KT, Chen CM, Huang ST, Wu YM, Lee HE, Hsu KJ, et al. Patient satisfaction with the quality of dental treatment provided by interns. J Dent Sci. 2013 Jun;8(2):177-83.
9. Lacy FJ, Sheehan BA. Job satisfaction among academic staff: An international perspective. High Educ. 1997 Oct;34(3):305-22.
10. Squires JE, Hoben M, Linklater S, Carleton HL, Graham N, Estabrooks CA. Job satisfaction among care aides in residential long-term care: a systematic review of contributing factors, both individual and organizational. Nurs Res Pract. 2015 Aug; 2015.
11. Logan HL, Muller PJ, Berst MR, Yeaney DW. Contributors to dentists' job satisfaction and quality of life. The Journal of the American College of Dentists. 1997 Jan;64(4):39-43.
12. Reza A, Vahabi S, Kadkhodazadeh M, Dalaie K, Mirakhori M, Saee S. Evaluation of job satisfaction among faculty members of Shahid Beheshti Dental School: a cross sectional study in 2012. J Med Council IRI. 2013 Mar;31(3):224-30.
13. Seraj B, Ghadimi S, Mirzaee M, Ahmadi R, Bashizadeh H, Ashofteh-Yazdi K, et al. Job satisfaction and its influential factors in dental academic members in Tehran, Iran. Annals of Med Health Sci Res. 2014;4(2):192-7.
14. Emrani R, Hessari H, Jafari A. Designing and evaluating a questionnaire for assessing job satisfaction of dentists. Int J Med H Res. 2019;4(5):90-5.
15. Emrani R, Sargeran K, Grytten JI, Hessari H. A survey of common payment methods and their determinants in dental clinics in Tehran. Eur J Den. 2019 Oct;13(4):535-9.
16. Norman GR, Streiner DL. Biostatistics: the bare essentials. PMPH USA; 2008:395-6.
17. Gilmour J, Stewardson DA, Shugars DA, Burke FJ. An assessment of career satisfaction among a group of general dental practitioners in Staffordshire. British Dent J. 2005 Jun;198(11):701-10.
18. Matjila SA, Madiba TK, Annandale-Dippenaar L, Olutola BG. Assessment of job satisfaction among dentists working in different settings in the Tshwane metro. South African Dent J. 2019 Jun;74(5):230-5.
19. Ayers KM, Thomson WM, Rich AM, Newton JT. Gender differences in dentists’ working practices and job satisfaction. J Dent. 2008 May;36(5):343-50.
20. Song KW, Choi WS, Jee HJ, Yuh CS, Kim YK, Kim L, et al. Correlation of occupational stress with depression, anxiety, and sleep in Korean dentists: cross-sectional study. BMC Psychiatry. 2017 Dec;17(1):1-11.
21. Hamasha AA, Alturki A, Alghofaili N, Alhomaied A, Alsanee F, Aljaghwani F, et al. Predictors and level of job satisfaction among the dental workforce in national guard health affairs. J Int Soc Prevent Communit Dent. 2019 Jan:9(1) 89.
22. Gallagher J, Clarke W, Wilson N. Understanding the motivation: a qualitative study of dental students’ choice of professional career. Eur J Dent Edu. 2008 May;12(2):89-98.
23. Rajeh M, Nicolau B, Qutob A, Pluye P, Esfandiari S. A survey of the barriers affecting the career practice and promotions of female dentists in Saudi Arabia. J Dent Res. 2019 Apr;4(2):187-95.
24. Enami A, Lustig N, Taqdiri A. Fiscal policy, inequality, and poverty in Iran: assessing the impact and effectiveness of taxes and transfers. Mid-East Develop J. 2019 Jan;11(1):49-74.
|Job Satisfaction Dentists Workplace|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|