Influence of Varying Dentin and Enamel Layer Thicknesses of Nano-composite Resins on Color Match between Lithium Disilicate Dental Ceramic and Composite Resins
Objectives: The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of varying dentin and enamel layer thicknesses of two nano-composite resins on color match of composite resins and lithium disilicate dental ceramic.
Materials and Methods: Twenty-six specimens of two types of nano-composite resins, Opallis and Vittra, were fabricated using the two-layered technique with different thickness ratios of enamel and dentin composites (A2 shade) with a total thickness of 1.2mm. Thirteen discs of the same shade and thickness of IPS e.max Press LT (low translucency) lithium disilicate dental ceramic were also fabricated. Specimen color was measured with a spectrophotometer. The difference in color (ΔE00) of composite and ceramic specimens, and the translucency parameter (TP) of all specimens were calculated. Data were analyzed using multi-factor ANOVA (P<0.05).
Results: The color difference (ΔE00) values of composites and ceramic were not clinically acceptable in any areas of either of the two composites (ΔE00>2.25). But ΔE00 between the two composite resins was in the clinically acceptable range (ΔE00<2.25). The mean TP value of IPS e.max Press was greater than that of Vittra and lower than that of Opallis.
Conclusion: In similar thicknesses, composite resins with any enamel/dentin thickness ratio could not successfully simulate the color and translucency of IPS e.max Press LT ceramic.
2. Blank JT. Simplified techniques for the placement of stratified polychromatic anterior and posterior direct composite restorations. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2003 Feb;24(2 Suppl):19-25.
3. Pontons-Melo JC, Furuse AY, Mondelli J. A direct composite resin stratification technique for restoration of the smile. Quintessence Int. 2011 Mar;42(3):205-11.
4. Stappert CF, Att W, Gerds T, Strub JR. Fracture resistance of different partial-coverage ceramic molar restorations: An in vitro investigation. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006 Apr;137(4):514-22.
5. Carney MN, Johnston WM. Appearance differences between lots and brands of similar shade designations of dental composite resins. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2017 Apr;29(2):E6-E14.
6. Vichi A, Fraioli A, Davidson CL, Ferrari M. Influence of thickness on color in multi-layering technique. Dent Mater. 2007 Dec;23(12):1584-9.
7. Da Costa J, Fox P, Ferracane J. Comparison of various resin composite shades and layering technique with a shade guide. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2010 Apr;22(2):114-24.
8. Friebel M, Pernell O, Cappius H-J, Helfmann J, Meinke MC. Simulation of color perception of layered dental composites using optical properties to evaluate the benefit of esthetic layer preparation technique. Dent Mater. 2012 Apr;28(4):424-32.
9. Mikhail SS, Schricker SR, Azer SS, Brantley WA, Johnston WM. Optical characteristics of contemporary dental composite resin materials. J Dent. 2013 Sep;41(9):771-8.
10. Mikhail SS, Johnston WM. Confirmation of theoretical colour predictions for layering dental composite materials. J Dent. 2014 Apr;42(4):419-24.
11. Devoto W, Saracinelli M, Manauta J. Composite in everyday practice: how to choose the right material and simplify application techniques in the anterior teeth. Eur J Esthet Dent. Spring 2010;5(1):102-24.
12. Opallis composite resin. Available at: https://fgmdentalgroup.com/en/pages/opallis
13. Vittra composite resin. Available at: https://dentaum.com.ua/image/data/FGM%20materials/ARTICLES/Mate%CC%81ria%20Vittra%20APS.pdf
14. Pires LA, Novais PM, Araújo VD, Pegoraro LF. Effects of the type and thickness of ceramic, substrate, and cement on the optical color of a lithium disilicate ceramic. J Prosthet Dent. 2017 Jan;117(1):144-9.
15. Kürklü D, Azer SS, Yilmaz B, Johnston WM. Porcelain thickness and cement shade effects on the colour and translucency of porcelain veneering materials. J Dent. 2013 Nov;41(11):1043-50.
16. Paravina RD, Kimura M, Powers JM. Color compatibility of resin composites of identical shade designation. Quintessence Int. 2006 Oct;37(9):713-9.
17. Dietschi D. Layering concepts in anterior composite restorations. J Adhes Dent. Spring 2001;3(1):71-80.
18. Magne P, Holz J. Stratification of composite restorations: systematic and durable replication of natural aesthetics. Pract Periodontics Aesthet Dent. Jan-Feb 1996;8(1):61-8.
19. Kim SH, Lee YK, Lim BS, Rhee SH, Yang HC. Difference in color and color parameters between dental porcelain and porcelain‐repairing resin composite. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2006 Jan;76(1):149-54.
20. Seghi RR, Johnston WM, O'brien W. Spectrophotometric analysis of color differences between porcelain systems. J Prosthet Dent. 1986 Jul;56(1):35-40.
21. Rocha Maia R, Oliveira D, D'antonio T, Qian F, Skiff F. Comparison of light-transmittance in dental tissues and dental composite restorations using incremental layering build-up with varying enamel resin layer thickness. Restor Dent Endod. 2018 Apr 16;43(2):e22.
22. Azzopardi N, Moharamzadeh K, Wood DJ, Martin N, van Noort R. Effect of resin matrix composition on the translucency of experimental dental composite resins. Dent Mater. 2009 Dec;25(12):1564-8.
23. Lee YK. Translucency of human teeth and dental restorative materials and its clinical relevance. J Biomed Opt. 2015 Apr;20(4):045002.
24. Lim YK, Lee YK, Lim BS, Rhee SH, Yang HC. Influence of filler distribution on the color parameters of experimental resin composites. Dent Mater. 2008 Jan;24(1):67-73.
25. Arikawa H, Kanie T, Fujii K, Takahashi H, Ban S. Effect of filler properties in composite resins on light transmittance characteristics and color. Dent Mater J. 2007 Jan;26(1):38-44.
26. Haas K, Azhar G, Wood DJ, Moharamzadeh K, van Noort R. The effects of different opacifiers on the translucency of experimental dental composite resins. Dent Mater. 2017 Aug;33(8):e310-6.
27. McLaren EA, Cao PT. Ceramics in dentistry—part I: classes of materials. Inside Dent. 2009 Oct;5(9):94-103.
28. Jurišić S, Jurišić G, Zlatarić DK. In vitro evaluation and comparison of the translucency of two different all-ceramic systems. Acta Stomatol Croat. 2015 Sep;49(3):195-203.
29. Heffernan MJ, Aquilino SA, Diaz-Arnold AM, Haselton DR, Stanford CM, Vargas MA. Relative translucency of six all-ceramic systems. Part II: core and veneer materials. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Jul;88(1):10-5.
30. Barizon KT, Bergeron C, Vargas MA, Qian F, Cobb DS, Gratton DG, et al. Ceramic materials for porcelain veneers: part II. Effect of material, shade, and thickness on translucency. J Prosthet Dent. 2014 Oct;112(4):864-70.
31. Powers JM, Sakaguchi RL, Craig RG. Craig's restorative dental materials/edited by Ronald L. Sakaguchi, John M. Powers.13th ed. Philadelphia, Elsevier/Mosby, 2012:255.
32. Van Noort R. Introduction to dental materials. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Elsevier/Mosby, 2013:212.
33. O'Keefe K, Pease P, Herrin H. Variables affecting the spectral transmittance of light through porcelain veneer samples. J Prosthet Dent. 1991 Oct;66(4):434-8.
34. Barath VS, Faber FJ, Westland S, Niedermeier W. Spectrophotometric analysis of all-ceramic materials and their interaction with luting agents and different backgrounds. Adv Dent Res. 2003 Dec;17:55-60.
35. Li Q, Yu H, Wang Y. Spectrophotometric evaluation of the optical influence of core build-up composites on all-ceramic materials. Dent Mater. 2009 Feb;25(2):158-65.
36. Spyropoulou P-E, Giroux EC, Razzoog ME, Duff RE. Translucency of shaded zirconia core material. J Prosthet Dent. 2011 May;105(5):304-7.
37. Wang H, Xiong F, Zhenhua L. Influence of varied surface texture of dentin porcelain on optical properties of porcelain specimens. J Prosthet Dent. 2011 Apr;105(4):242-8.
38. Peyton JH. Finishing and polishing techniques: direct composite resin restorations. Pract Proced Aesthet Dent. 2004 May;16(4):293-8.
|Issue||Volume 18 (IN PROGRESS)|
|Ceramics Color Composite Resins Lithia Disilicate|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|