Lingual Foramen of the Mandible on Cone-Beam Computed Tomography Scans: A Study of Anatomical Variations in an Iranian Population
Objectives: Lingual foramen (LF) is an important landmark of the mandible, which should be considered in presurgical assessment. The purpose of this study was to assess the anatomical variations of the LF using cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT).
Materials and Methods: The study was conducted on 200 CBCT scans of Iranian adults. The lingual foramina (LFs) were classified into two groups by their location in the mandible namely the medial LFs (MLFs) and the lateral LFs (LLFs). The frequency of both the MLFs and the LLFs and their distance from the inferior border of the mandible were evaluated. Additionally, the diameter of the MLFs and the location of the LLFs were assessed. Data were analyzed separately for males and females.
Results: All 200 participants had at least one LF. Totally, 257 LFs were detected on 200 CBCT scans, including 223 MLFs (86.6%) and 34 LLFs (13.3%). The LLF was detected in 23 patients (11.5%). The prevalence of the LLF was higher in males and in the second premolar region. The diameter of the MLFs was less than 1mm in 81% of the cases, and males had a larger MLF.
Conclusion: There was a significant variability in the anatomy and location of the mandibular LF in Iranian adults. CBCT is recommended for preoperative imaging to determine the exact location and size of the LFs in the mandible to prevent possible surgical complications.
2. Katakami K, Mishima A, Kuribayashi A, Shimoda S, Hamada Y, Kobayashi K. Anatomical characteristics of the mandibular lingual foramina observed on limited cone-beam CT images. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2009 Apr;20(4):386-90.
3. Sanomiya Ikuta CR, Paes da Silva Ramos Fernandes LM, Poleti ML, Alvares Capelozza AL, Fischer Rubira-Bullen IR. Anatomical study of the posterior mandible: Lateral lingual foramina in cone beam computed tomography. Implant Dent. 2016 Apr;25(2):247-51.
4. Kalpidis CD, Konstantinidis AB. Critical hemorrhage in the floor of the mouth during implant placement in the first mandibular premolar position: a case report. Implant Dent. 2005 Jun;14(2):117-24.
5. Krenkel C, Holzner K. Die linguale Knochenperforation als Kausalfaktor einer bedrohlichen Mundbodenblutung bei einem Einzelzahnimplantat der Eckzahnregion [Lingual bone perforation as causal factor in a threatening hemorrhage of the mouth floor due to a single tooth implant in the canine region]. Quintessenz. 1986 Jun;37(6):1003-8.
6. Mardinger O, Manor Y, Mijiritsky E, Hirshberg A. Lingual perimandibular vessels associated with life-threatening bleeding: an anatomic study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2007 Jan-Feb;22(1):127-31.
7. de Oliveira-Santos C, Souza PH, de Azambuja Berti-Couto S, Stinkens L, Moyaert K, Rubira-Bullen IR, Jacobs R. Assessment of variations of the mandibular canal through cone beam computed tomography. Clin Oral Investig. 2012 Apr;16(2):387-93.
8. Babiuc I, Tărlungeanu I, Păuna M. Cone beam computed tomography observations of the lingual foramina and their bony canals in the median region of the mandible. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2011;52(3):827-9.
9. Sheikhi M, Mosavat F, Ahmadi A. Assessing the anatomical variations of lingual foramen and its bony canals with CBCT taken from 102 patients in Isfahan. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2012 Dec;9(Suppl 1):S45-51.
10. Tagaya A, Matsuda Y, Nakajima K, Seki K, Okano T. Assessment of the blood supply to the lingual surface of the mandible for reduction of bleeding during implant surgery. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2009 Apr;20(4):351-5.
11. Tagaya A, Matsuda Y, Nakajima K, Seki K, Okano T. Assessment of the blood supply to the lingual surface of the mandible for reduction of bleeding during implant surgery. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2009 Apr;20(4):351-5.
12. Aoun G, Nasseh I, Sokhn S, Rifai M. Lingual
Foramina and Canals of the Mandible: Anatomic Variations in a Lebanese Population. J Clin Imaging Sci. 2017 Apr;7:16.
13. Jacobs R, Mraiwa N, vanSteenberghe D, Gijbels F, Quirynen M. Appearance, location, course, and morphology of the mandibular incisive canal: an assessment on spiral CT scan. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2002 Sep;31(5):322-7.
14. Kim DH, Kim MY, Kim CH. Distribution of the lingual foramina in mandibular cortical bone in Koreans. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013 Dec;39(6):263-8.
15. Liang X, Jacobs R, Lambrichts I, Vandewalle G. Lingual foramina on the mandibular midline revisited: a macroanatomical study. Clin Anat. 2007 Apr;20(3):246-51.
16. Choi DY, Woo YJ, Won SY, Kim DH, Kim HJ, Hu KS. Topography of the lingual foramen using micro-computed tomography for improving safety during implant placement of anterior mandibular region. J Craniofac Surg. 2013 Jul;24(4):1403-7.
17. He X, Jiang J, Cai W, Pan Y, Yang Y, Zhu K, et al. Assessment of the appearance, location and morphology of mandibular lingual foramina using cone beam computed tomography. Int Dent J. 2016 Oct;66(5):272-9.
18. Sahman H, Sekerci AE, Ertas ET. Lateral lingual vascular canals of the mandible: a CBCT study of 500 cases. Surg Radiol Anat. 2014 Nov;36(9):865-70.
19. Xie L, Li T, Chen J, Yin D, Wang W, Xie Z. Cone-beam CT assessment of implant-related anatomy landmarks of the anterior mandible in a Chinese population. Surg Radiol Anat. 2019 Aug;41(8):927-34.
20. Murlimanju BV, Prakash KG, Samiullah D, Prabhu LV, Pai MM, Vadgaonkar R, et al. Accessory neurovascular foramina on the lingual surface of mandible: incidence, topography, and clinical implications. Indian J Dent Res. 2012 May-Jun;23(3):433.
21. von Arx T, Matter D, Buser D, Bornstein MM. Evaluation of location and dimensions of lingual foramina using limited cone-beam computed tomography. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011 Nov;69(11):2777-85.
22. Kawai T, Asaumi R, Sato I, Yoshida S, Yosue T. Classification of the lingual foramina and their bony canals in the median region of the mandible: cone beam computed tomography observations of dry Japanese mandibles. Oral Radiol. 2007 Dec;23(2):42-8.
|Anatomy Cross-Sectional Mandible Cone-Beam Computed Tomography Radiology|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|