Retention of Cast Posts Cemented with Two Commonly Used Conventional and Two Resin Cements and the Mode of Root Fracture Following Their Removal
Objectives: This study aimed to compare the retention of cast posts cemented with four types of cements and assess the mode of root fracture following their removal.
Materials and Methods: In this in vitro, experimental study, 48 upper central incisors were randomly divided into 4 groups of 12, and were endodontically treated. The fabricated cast posts in each group were cemented with zinc phosphate (Masterdent), glass ionomer (GI; Meron), Meta resin cement, and Panavia SA resin cement. A device was customized for post removal by a universal testing machine similar to WAM X pliers. The retention of cemented posts was measured by the pull-out test in a universal testing machine. Next, the teeth were macroscopically and microscopically inspected regarding the occurrence and sites of catastrophic fracture, cracks, or craze lines. Quantitative and qualitative data were analyzed by ANOVA, and Chi-square test, respectively (P<0.05).
Results: ANOVA showed a significant difference in the mean retention of cements (P<0.001). Panavia provided the highest retention (278.6±34.9 N) followed by zinc phosphate (221.9±28.88 N), GI (161.3±60.7 N), and Meta (140.4±66.54 N). There was no significant difference between the groups regarding the pattern of root fracture (P=0.39). However, site and extent of fractures were significantly different among the groups (P<0.05).
Conclusion: The conventional cements provided optimal retention and caused less root damage after post removal. Thus, cements providing adequate retention and allowing easier post removal are recommended for use in endodontically treated teeth with a possibility of requiring retreatment.
2. Neaverth EJ, Kahn H. Re-treatment of dowel-obturated root canals. J Am Dent Assoc. 1968 Feb;76(2):325-8.
3. Imura N, Pinheiro ET, Gomes BP, Zaia AA, Ferraz CC, Souza-Filho FJ. The outcome of endodontic treatment: a retrospective study of 2000 cases performed by a specialist. J Endod. 2007 Nov;33(11):1278-82.
4. Ruddle CJ. Nonsurgical retreatment. J Endod. 2004 Dec;30(12):827-45.
5. Gomes A, Kubo C, Santos R, Santos D, Padilha R. The influence of ultrasound on the retention of cast posts cemented with different agents. Int Endod J. 2001 Mar;34(2):93-9.
6. Mendoza DB, Eakle WS, Kahl EA, Ho R. Root reinforcement with a resin-bonded preformed post. J Prosthet Dent. 1997 Jul;78(1):10-4.
7. Fernandes AS, Dessai GS. Factors affecting the fracture resistance of post-core reconstructed teeth: a review. Int J Prosthodont. 2001 Jul-Aug;14(4):355-63.
8. Hagge MS, Wong RD, Lindemuth JS. Retention strengths of five luting cements on prefabricated dowels after root canal obturation with a zinc oxide/eugenol sealer: 1. Dowel space preparation/cementation at one week after obturation. J Prosthodont. 2002 Sep;11(3):168-75.
9. Ingle JI, Bakland LK, Baumgartner JC. Ingle's endodontics/John I. Ingle, Leif K. Bakland, J. Craig Baumgartner: Hamilton, Ont.: BC Decker; 2008:673.
10. Bergeron BE, Murchison DF, Schindler WG, Walker III WA. Effect of ultrasonic vibration and various sealer and cement combinations on titanium post removal. J Endod. 2001 Jan;27(1):13-7.
11. Garrido A, Oliveira A, Osório J, Silva‐Sousa Y, Sousa‐Neto MDd. Evaluation of several protocols for the application of ultrasound during the removal of cast intraradicular posts cemented with zinc phosphate cement. Int Endod J. 2009 Jul;42(7):609-13.
12. Hauman C, Chandler N, Purton D. Factors influencing the removal of posts. Int Endod J. 2003 Oct;36(10):687-90.
13. Morgano SM, Brackett SE. Foundation restorations in fixed prosthodontics: current knowledge and future needs. J Prosthet Dent. 1999 Dec;82(6):643-57.
14. Rosenstiel SF, Land MF, Crispin BJ. Dental luting agents: A review of the current literature. J Prosthet Dent. 1998 Sep;80(3):280-301.
15 Oilo G. Luting cements: a review and comparison. Int Dent J. 1991 Apr;41(2):81-8.
16. Wilson A, Prosser H, Powis D. Mechanism of adhesion of polyelectrolyte cements to hydroxyapatite. J Dent Res. 1983 May;62 (5):590-2.
17. Chan FW, Harcourt JK, Brockhurst PJ. The effect of post adaptation in the root canal on retention of posts cemented with various cements. Aust Dent J. 1993 Feb;38(1):39-45.
18 Duncan JP, Pameijer CH. Retention of parallel-sided titanium posts cemented with six luting agents: an in vitro study. J Prosthet Dent. 1998 Oct;80(4):423-8.
19. Mitchell C, Abbariki M, Orr J. The influence of luting cement on the probabilities of survival and modes of failure of cast full-coverage crowns. Dent Mater. 2000 May;16(3):198-206.
20. Rosin M, Splieth C, Wilkens M, Meyer G. Effect of cement type on retention of a tapered post with a self-cutting double thread. J Dent. 2000 Nov;28(8):577-82.
21. Bouillaguet S, Troesch S, Wataha JC, Krejci I, Meyer J-M, Pashley DH. Microtensile bond strength between adhesive cements and root canal dentin. Dent Mater. 2003 May;19(3):199-205.
22. Mendoza DB, Eakle WS. Retention of posts cemented with various dentinal bonding cements. J Prosthet Dent. 1994 Dec;72(6):591-4.
23. Tjan AH, Nemetz H. Effect of eugenol-containing endodontic sealer on retention of prefabricated posts luted with an adhesive composite resin cement. Quintessence Int. 1992 Dec;23(12)839-44.
24. Castrisos T, Abbott P. A survey of methods used for post removal in specialist endodontic practice. Int Endod J. 2002 Feb;35(2):172-80.
25. Friedlander L, Couvrechel C, Perez C, Tavernier B. Clinical appraisal of the WAM'X super quick post-and-core removal device. Int J Prosthodont. 2018 Mar;31(2):127-8.
26. Al-Ali K, Talic Y, Abduljabbar T, Omar R. Influence of timing of coronal preparation on retention of cemented cast posts and cores. Int J Prosthodont. 2003 May;16(3):290-4.
27. Caputo A. Standlee. Biomechanics in clinical dentistry. Chicago. Quintessence. 1987:185-203.
28. Johnson WT, Leary JM, Boyer DB. Effect of ultrasonic vibration on post removal in extracted human premolar teeth. J Endod. 1996 Sep;22(9):487-8.
29. Rosenstiel SF, Land MF. Contemporary Fixed Prosthodontics-E-Book: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2015: 272-312.
30. Stegaroiu R, Yamada H, Kusakari H, Miyakawa O. Retention and failure mode after cyclic loading in two post and core systems. J Prosthet Dent. 1996 May;75(5):506-11.
31. Sabouhi M, Nosouhian S, Pakravan F. Comparative evaluation of retention of casting post and Cores cemented with four different dental cements. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2009 May;171-8.
32. Choudhary S, Begum Z, Choudhary P, Tripathi S. Comparative evaluation of retention of prefabricated and conventional cast post: An in vitro study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2014 May;4(2):87-91.
33. Soejima H, Takemoto S, Hattori M, Yoshinari M, Kawada E, Oda Y. Effect of adhesive system on retention in posts comprising fiber post and core resin. Dent Mater J. 2013;32(4):659-66.
34. Aalaei S, Kalbasi Anaraki S, Rezaei Adli A, Rouhi N. Comparison of tensile strength of three resin cements in root canal treatment: Panavia F2.0, Clearfil SA, and Relyx U200. J Mashhad Dent. 2019;43(1):1-9.
35. Gavranovic GA, Redzepagic S, Ajanovic M, Kazazic L, Zukic S, Dizdarevic D. Comparing the retention of cast posts cemented with three different kinds of cement. Pesqui. Bras. Odontopediatria Clin. 2010;10(1):41-5.
36. Rahshenas N, Salari MH, Salehi MK, Mohebbi M. Investigation on the effect of two dual cure resin cements on the retention of fiber posts (in vitro). J Dent Med. 2016 Jul;29(1):34-8.
37. Feiz A, Barekatain B, Naseri R, Zarezadeh H, Askari N, Nasiri S. The influence of ultrasound on removal of prefabricated metal post cemented with different resin cements. Dent Res J. 2013 Nov;10(6):760-3.
38. Garrido ÂDB, Fonseca TS, Alfredo E, Silva-Sousa YTC, Sousa-Neto MD. Influence of ultrasound, with and without water spray cooling, on removal of posts cemented with resin or zinc phosphate cements. J Endod. 2004 Mar;30(3):173-6.
39. Sahafi A, Benetti AR, Flury S, Peutzfeldt A. Retention of root canal posts: effect of cement film thickness, luting cement, and post pretreatment. Oper Dent. 2015 Jul-Aug;40(4): 149-57.
40. Al‐Omari WM, Zagibeh AM. The retention of cast metal dowels fabricated by direct and indirect techniques. J Prosthodont. 2010 Jan;19(1):58-63.
|Issue||Vol 18 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Post and Core Technique; Endodontics; Dental Cements; Tooth Fractures|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|