Effect of Immersion in Disinfectants on Cyclic Fatigue Resistance of Nickel-Titanium Instruments: An in Vitro Study
Cyclic Fatigue of NiTi Files and Disinfectants
Objectives: The current study aimed to assess the cyclic fatigue resistance of two nickel-titanium (NiTi) rotary files after immersion in 5% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) and Deconex.
Materials and Methods: In this in vitro study, 90 new M3 Pro Gold size 25.06 and size F2 SP1 files were tested. Forty-five files of the same brand were randomly distributed into three groups (n=15) and submitted to the following immersion protocol for 5 minutes at room temperature: no immersion (control group), immersion in 5% NaOCl, and immersion in Deconex. The cyclic fatigue resistance of the files was then measured in a custom-made tester. Two-way ANOVA was applied to compare the cyclic fatigue resistance of SP1 and M3 NiTi rotary files based on the type of disinfectant solution. Post-hoc LSD test was used for pairwise comparisons and P<0.05 was considered significant.
Results: Two-way ANOVA indicated a significant difference in the mean cyclic fatigue resistance of M3 and SP1 NiTi rotary files. The M3 files immersed in NaOCL displayed the lowest and the SP1 files immersed in Deconex showed the maximum cyclic fatigue resistance. The effect of type of disinfectant solution (P<0.001) and type of NiTi file (P<0.001) on cyclic fatigue resistance was statistically significant.
Conclusions: The cyclic fatigue resistance of NiTi rotary instruments can be affected by immersion in disinfectants, and the specific type of file and disinfectant used will ultimately determine the extent of this impact.
2. Schilder H. Cleaning and shaping the root canal. Dent Clin North Am. 1974 Apr;18(2):269-96.
3. Peters OA. Current challenges and concepts in the preparation of root canal systems: a review. J Endod. 2004 Aug;30(8):559-67.
4. Linsuwanont P, Parashos P, Messer HH. Cleaning of rotary nickel-titanium endodontic instruments. Int Endod J. 2004 Jan;37(1):19-28.
5. Sonntag D, Peters OA. Effect of prion decontamination protocols on nickel-titanium rotary surfaces. J Endod. 2007 Apr;33(4):442-6.
6. Van Eldik DA, Zilm PS, Rogers AH, Marin PD. Microbiological evaluation of endodontic files after cleaning and steam sterilization procedures. Aust Dent J. 2004 Sep;49(3):122-7.
7. Parashos P, Linsuwanont P, Messer HH. A cleaning protocol for rotary nickel-titanium endodontic instruments. Aust Dent J. 2004 Mar;49(1):20-7.
8. Pedullà E, Grande NM, Plotino G, Pappalardo A, Rapisarda E. Cyclic fatigue resistance of three different nickel-titanium instruments after immersion in sodium hypochlorite. J Endod. 2011 Aug;37(8):1139-42.
9. Pedullà E, Grande NM, Plotino G, Gambarini G, Rapisarda E. Influence of continuous or reciprocating motion on cyclic fatigue resistance of 4 different nickel-titanium rotary instruments. J Endod. 2013 Feb;39(2):258-61.
10. Sattapan B, Nervo GJ, Palamara JE, Messer HH. Defects in rotary nickel-titanium files after clinical use. J Endod. 2000 Mar;26(3):161-5.
11. Ullmann CJ, Peters OA. Effect of cyclic fatigue on static fracture loads in ProTaper nickel-titanium rotary instruments. J Endod. 2005 Mar;31(3):183-6.
12. Martín B, Zelada G, Varela P, Bahillo JG, Magán F, Ahn S, et al. Factors influencing the fracture of nickel-titanium rotary instruments. Int Endod J. 2003 Apr;36(4):262-6.
13. Parashos P, Gordon I, Messer HH. Factors influencing defects of rotary nickel-titanium endodontic instruments after clinical use. J Endod. 2004 Oct;30(10):722-5.
14. Plotino G, Grande NM, Cordaro M, Testarelli L, Gambarini G. A review of cyclic fatigue testing of nickel-titanium rotary instruments. J Endod. 2009 Nov;35(11):1469-76.
15. Capar ID, Kaval ME, Ertas H, Sen BH. Comparison of the cyclic fatigue resistance of 5 different rotary pathfinding instruments made of conventional nickel-titanium wire, M-wire, and controlled memory wire. J Endod. 2015 Apr;41(4):535-8.
16. Castelló-Escrivá R, Alegre-Domingo T, Faus-Matoses V, Román-Richon S, Faus-Llácer VJ. In vitro comparison of cyclic fatigue resistance of ProTaper, WaveOne, and Twisted Files. J Endod. 2012 Nov;38(11):1521-4.
17. Gambarini G. Cyclic fatigue of ProFile rotary instruments after prolonged clinical use. Int Endod J. 2001 Jul;34(5):386-9.
18. de Hemptinne F, Slaus G, Vandendael M, Jacquet W, De Moor RJ, Bottenberg P. In Vivo Intracanal Temperature Evolution during Endodontic Treatment after the Injection of Room Temperature or Preheated Sodium Hypochlorite. J Endod. 2015 Jul;41(7):1112-5.
19. Cunningham WT, Balekjian AY. Effect of temperature on collagen-dissolving ability of sodium hypochlorite endodontic irrigant. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1980 Feb;49(2):175-7.
20. de Vasconcelos RA, Murphy S, Carvalho CA, Govindjee RG, Govindjee S, Peters OA. Evidence for Reduced Fatigue Resistance of Contemporary Rotary Instruments Exposed to Body Temperature. J Endod. 2016 May;42(5):782-7.
21. Plotino G, Grande NM, Mercadé Bellido M, Testarelli L, Gambarini G. Influence of Temperature on Cyclic Fatigue Resistance of ProTaper Gold and ProTaper Universal Rotary Files. J Endod. 2017 Feb;43(2):200-202.
22. Sarkar NK, Redmond W, Schwaninger B, Goldberg AJ. The chloride corrosion behaviour of four orthodontic wires. J Oral Rehabil. 1983 Mar;10(2):121-8.
23. Oshida Y, Sachdeva RC, Miyazaki S. Microanalytical characterization and surface modification of TiNi orthodontic archwires. Biomed Mater Eng. 1992 Summer;2(2):51-69.
24. Rapisarda E, Bonaccorso A, Tripi TR, Fragalk I, Condorelli GG. The effect of surface treatments of nickel-titanium files on wear and cutting efficiency. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2000 Mar;89(3):363-8.
25. Cheung GS, Darvell BW. Low-cycle fatigue of rotary NiTi endodontic instruments in hypochlorite solution. Dent Mater. 2008 Jun;24(6):753-9.
26. Chaves Craveiro de Melo M, Guiomar de Azevedo Bahia M, Lopes Buono VT. Fatigue resistance of engine-driven rotary nickel-titanium endodontic instruments. J Endod. 2002 Nov;28(11):765-9.
27. Shen Y, Qian W, Abtin H, Gao Y, Haapasalo M. Effect of environment on fatigue failure of controlled memory wire nickel-titanium rotary instruments. J Endod. 2012 Mar;38(3):376-80.
28. Cheung GS, Zhang EW, Zheng YF. A numerical method for predicting the bending fatigue life of NiTi and stainless steel root canal instruments. Int Endod J. 2011 Apr;44(4):357-61.
29. Peters OA, Roehlike JO, Baumann MA. Effect of immersion in sodium hypochlorite on torque and fatigue resistance of nickel-titanium instruments. J Endod. 2007 May;33(5):589-93.
30. Fayyad DM, Mahran AH. Atomic force microscopic evaluation of nanostructure alterations of rotary NiTi instruments after immersion in irrigating solutions. Int Endod J. 2014 Jun;47(6):567-73.
31. Berutti E, Angelini E, Rigolone M, Migliaretti G, Pasqualini D. Influence of sodium hypochlorite on fracture properties and corrosion of ProTaper Rotary instruments. Int Endod J. 2006 Sep;39(9):693-9.
32. Plotino G, Grande NM, Sorci E, Malagnino VA, Somma F. A comparison of cyclic fatigue between used and new Mtwo Ni-Ti rotary instruments. Int Endod J. 2006 Sep;39(9):716-23.
33. Tripi TR, Bonaccorso A, Condorelli GG. Cyclic fatigue of different nickel-titanium endodontic rotary instruments. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006 Oct;102(4):e106-14.
|Issue||Vol 20 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Dental Disinfectants Dental Instruments Root Canal Preparation Sodium Hypochlorite Nitinol|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|