Association of Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and Chronic Periodontitis in Postmenopausal Women after Non-Surgical Periodontal Therapy
Periodontal Treatment on Postmenopausal Women
Objectives: Vitamin D deficiency appears to have a major effect on periodontal tissue health. The present study aimed to assess the association of the serum level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and chronic periodontitis in postmenopausal women.
Materials and Methods: This research was done on 30 postmenopausal women with chronic periodontitis who all had at least 20 natural teeth. Intravenous blood samples were taken from the study population at baseline and after completion of non-surgical periodontal treatment. This was followed by assessment of serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D. Next, clinical parameters of all teeth except for third molars were measured, which included pocket depth (PD), gingival index (GI), and plaque index (PI). Data were analyzed by paired t-test and its non-parametric equivalent, the Wilcoxon test. P<0.05 was considered significant.
Results: The mean PD, PI and GI before and after the intervention were significantly different (P<0.05). There was, however, no significant difference between the mean vitamin D concentrations before and after treatment (P>0.05).
Conclusion: According to the results obtained in the present study, there is no association between serum vitamin D concentrations and chronic periodontitis in postmenopausal women.
2. Penoni DC, Torres SR, Farias ML, Fernandes TM, Luiz RR, Leão AT. Association of osteoporosis and bone medication with the periodontal condition in elderly women. Osteoporos Int. 2016 May;27(5):1887-96.
3. Camargo GA, Abreu MG, Cordeiro Rdos S, Wenderoscky Lde F, Duque C. Prevalence of periodontopathogens and Candida spp. in smokers after nonsurgical periodontal therapy - a pilot study. Braz Oral Res. 2016 Aug 22;30(1):e92.
4. Machado V, Lobo S, Proença L, Mendes JJ, Botelho J. Vitamin D and Periodontitis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Nutrients. 2020 Jul 22;12(8):2177.
5. Mazahery H, von Hurst PR. Factors Affecting 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentration in Response to Vitamin D Supplementation. Nutrients. 2015 Jun 25;7(7):5111-42.
6. Fu XM, Fan SG, Li SL, Chen YS, Wu H, Guo YL. Low 25(OH) D serum levels are related with hip fracture in postmenopausal women: a matched case-control study. J Transl Med. 2015 Dec 23;13:388.
7. Lee HJ, Je DI, Won SJ, Paik DI, Bae KH. Association between vitamin D deficiency and periodontal status in current smokers. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2015 Oct;43(5):471-8.
8. Cheng TY, Millen AE, Wactawski-Wende J, Beresford SA, LaCroix AZ, Zheng Y, et al. Vitamin D intake determines vitamin d status of postmenopausal women, particularly those with limited sun exposure. J Nutr. 2014 May;144(5):681-9.
9. Dietrich T, Joshipura KJ, Dawson-Hughes B, Bischoff-Ferrari HA. Association between serum concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and periodontal disease in the US population. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jul;80(1):108-13. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/80.1.108.
10. Antonoglou GN, Suominen AL, Knuuttila M, Ylöstalo P, Ojala M, Männistö S, et al. Associations between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin d and periodontal pocketing and gingival bleeding: results of a study in a non-smoking population in Finland. J Periodontol. 2015 Jun;86(6):755-65.
11. Preshaw PM. Detection and diagnosis of periodontal conditions amenable to prevention. BMC Oral Health. 2015;15 Suppl 1(Suppl 1):S5.
12. Farooqi OA, Wehler CJ, Gibson G, Jurasic MM, Jones JA. Appropriate Recall Interval for Periodontal Maintenance: A Systematic Review. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2015 Dec;15(4):171-81.
13. Zarandi A, Salahaddin S, Faramarzi M. Efficacy of different concentrations of chlorhexidine mouthwash on plaque accumulation and periodontal parameters. J Periodontol Implant Dent. 2016;8(1):8–11
14. Quirynen M, Mongardini C, Pauwels M, Bollen CM, Van Eldere J, van Steenberghe D. One stage full- versus partial-mouth disinfection in the treatment of chronic adult or generalized early-onset periodontitis. II. Long-term impact on microbial load. J Periodontol. 1999 Jun;70(6):646-56.
15. Parfitt AM, Gallagher JC, Heaney RP, Johnston CC, Neer R, Whedon GD. Vitamin D and bone health in the elderly. Am J Clin Nutr. 1982 Nov;36(5 Suppl):1014-31.
16. Lips P. Vitamin D deficiency and secondary hyperparathyroidism in the elderly: consequences for bone loss and fractures and therapeutic implications. Endocr Rev. 2001 Aug;22(4):477-501.
17. Khosla S, Atkinson EJ, Melton LJ 3rd, Riggs BL. Effects of age and estrogen status on serum parathyroid hormone levels and biochemical markers of bone turnover in women: a population-based study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997 May;82(5):1522-7.
18. As, D., Vitamin D. Am J, Physiol Renal Physiol, 2005. 289: p. F8-F28.
19. Millen AE, Hovey KM, LaMonte MJ, Swanson M, Andrews CA, Kluczynski MA, et al. Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and periodontal disease in postmenopausal women. J Periodontol. 2013 Sep;84(9):1243-56.
20. Bolland MJ, Grey A, Gamble GD, Reid IR. The effect of vitamin D supplementation on skeletal, vascular, or cancer outcomes: a trial sequential meta-analysis. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014 Apr;2(4):307-320.
21. Ghorbani F, Haghgoo R. Evaluation of the effect of magnolia herbal mouth wash on O'leary plaque index. Daneshvar Medicine, 2015. 1: 61-66.
22. Garcia MN, Hildebolt CF, Miley DD, Dixon DA, Couture RA, Spearie CL, et al. One-year effects of vitamin D and calcium supplementation on chronic periodontitis. J Periodontol. 2011 Jan;82(1):25-32.
23. Antonoglou GN, Suominen AL, Knuuttila M, Ylöstalo P, Ojala M, Männistö S, et al. Associations between serum 25‐hydroxyvitamin D and periodontal pocketing and gingival bleeding: results of a study in a non‐smoking population in Finland. J Periodontol. 2015:86(6), 755-765.
24. Hagenau T, Vest R, Gissel TN, Poulsen CS, Erlandsen M, Mosekilde L, et al. Global vitamin D levels in relation to age, gender, skin pigmentation and latitude: an ecologic meta-regression analysis. Osteoporos Int. 2009 Jan;20(1):133-40.
25. Pepelassi E, Nicopoulou-Karayianni K, Archontopoulou AD, Mitsea A, Kavadella A, Tsiklakis K, et al. The relationship between osteoporosis and periodontitis in women aged 45-70 years. Oral Dis. 2012 May;18(4):353-9.
26. Shen EC, Gau CH, Hsieh YD, Chang CY, Fu E. Periodontal status in post-menopausal osteoporosis: a preliminary clinical study in Taiwanese women. J Chin Med Assoc. 2004 Aug;67(8):389-93.
27. Alves RC, Félix SA, Rodriguez-Archilla A, Oliveira P, Brito J, Dos Santos JM. Relationship between menopause and periodontal disease: a cross-sectional study in a Portuguese population. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015 Jul 15;8(7):11412-9.
28. Lee MR, Han SJ, Kim HE, Choi JS. Relationship between Vitamin D Deficiency and Periodontitis in Korean Adults Aged ≥60 Years: Analysis of Data from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2013-2014). Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Apr 15;18(8):4181.
|Issue||Vol 20 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Periodontitis Osteoporosis Postmenopausal 25-hydroxyvitamin D|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|