Management of Adenomatoid Odontogenic Tumor in a Pediatric Patient with Preservation of an Associated Impacted Tooth: A Combined Surgical and Orthodontic Approach
The adenomatoid odontogenic tumor (AOT) is a rare benign neoplasm that is typically treated through surgical enucleation and curettage. Any impacted tooth associated with the tumor are also extracted during the procedure. We present a case of AOT encompassing an impacted left maxillary central incisor in a 13-year-old male. The patient underwent routine treatment, but the tooth was orthodontically extruded using traction. Within two years, the incisor successfully attained its functional position in the arch, without any signs of recurrence. Preserving an impacted tooth associated with AOT is not common, and only a few cases have been reported in the literature. It is important to manage AOT conservatively and to save the associated tooth for both functional and aesthetic purposes. Long-term follow-up is crucial to monitor any potential recurrence. In summary, our case highlights the successful orthodontic management and preservation of an impacted tooth in a teenager with AOT.
2. Adisa AO, Lawal AO, Effiom OA, Soyele OO, Omitola OG, Olawuyi A, et al. A retrospective review of 61 cases of adenomatoid odontogenic tumour seen in five tertiary health facilities in Nigeria. Pan Afr Med J. 2016 May 31;24:102.
3. Philipsen HP, Birn H. The adenomatoid odontogenic tumour. Ameloblastic adenomatoid tumour or adeno-ameloblastoma. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand. 1969;75(3):375-98.
4. de Matos FR, Nonaka CF, Pinto LP, de Souza LB, de Almeida Freitas R. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: retrospective study of 15 cases with emphasis on histopathologic features. Head Neck Pathol. 2012 Dec;6(4):430-7.
5. Sadasivan A, Ramesh R, Kurien NM. Peripheral Adenomatoid Odontogenic Tumor - A Rare Cause of Gingival Enlargement: A Case Report with CBCT Findings. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2020 Jul 21;12:297-304.
6. Kalia V, Kalra G, Kaushal N, Sharma V, Vermani M. Maxillary adenomatoid odontogenic tumor associated with a premolar. Ann Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Jan-Jun;5(1):119-22.
7. More CB, Das S, Gupta S, Bhavsar K. Mandibular adenomatoid odontogenic tumor: Radiographic and pathologic correlation. J Nat Sci Biol Med. 2013 Jul;4(2):457-62.
8. Narayanan VS, Naidu G, Ragavendra R, Mhaske-Jedhe S, Haldar M. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumor of the mandible with unusual radiographic features: A case report. Imaging Sci Dent. 2013 Jun;43(2):111-5.
9. Assael LA. Surgical management of odontogenic cysts and tumors. In: Peterson LJ, Indresano TA, Marciani RD, Roser SM, editors. Principles of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Lippincott; Philadelphia: 1992. pp. 685–8.
10. Rashmi G, Santosh G, Harshavardhan S, Praveen KM. Adenomatoid odontogenic tumour. Indian J Dent Adv. 2009 Oct 1;1(1):67-72.
11. Assao A, Freitas DL, Oliveira DT. A rare case report of an adenomatoid odontogenic tumor associated with odontoma in the maxilla. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2017;39:245-249.
12. Kamble A, Shimpi MR, Dash JK, Sahoo PK, Chaudhary S, Doiphode M. Adenomatoid Odontogenic Tumor of the Maxilla in a 13-year-old Patient: A Rare Case Report with a Review of Literature. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2021 Jul-Aug;14(4):596-600
13. Erdur EA, Ileri Z, Ugurluoglu C, Cakir M, Dolanmaz D. Eruption of an impacted canine in an adenomatid odontogenic tumor treated with combined orthodontic and surgical therapy. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2016 Jun;149(6):923-7.
14. Bonardi JP, da Costa FH, Matheus RA, Ito FA, Pereira-Stabile CL. Rare presentation of adenomatoid odontogenic tumor in a pediatric patient: a case report. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016 Jun;20(2):215-7.
15. Moon JW. Extensive Adenomatoid Odontogenic Tumor of the Maxilla: A Case Report of Conservative Surgical Excision and Orthodontic Alignment of Impacted Canine. Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Jul;36(4):173-7.
|Issue||Vol 20 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Odontogenic Tumors Tooth, Impacted Oral Surgical Procedures Orthodontic Extrusion|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|