Evaluation of Abrasion and Whitening Effect of Toothpastes Containing Charcoal on Primary Teeth
Objectives: Parents are aware of the importance of anterior tooth esthetics in their children. Children also pay attention to their appearance more than ever. Today, charcoal has been added to toothpastes. This study aimed to investigate the degree of bleaching and abrasion of charcoal toothpaste on primary teeth.
Materials and Method: This in-vitro study was performed on 30 extracted primary teeth. Initially, the samples were polished, cut, and mounted in blocks of putty. The samples were placed in a coffee solution and then the tooth color was measured by a spectrophotometer and the initial surface profile was measured by a profilometer. The samples were brushed back and forth by the brushing machine with 20 gr Bancer, Beverly, and Colgate toothpastes (mixed with 40 ml of distilled water) for 2000 times (equivalent to 3 times a day for 1.5 months). A color determination was performed again and a second surface profile was measured. The data were analyzed by one-way ANOVA, ANCOVA and paired t-test.
Results: The results of this study showed that all three Beverly, Bencer and Colgate whitening toothpastes increased the surface profile and made significant statistical changes in the roughness of dental specimens (P=0.01, P=0.005, P=0.001). The statistical study of the data did not show a significant difference between the groups in terms of abrasion and whitening properties (P=0.78, P= 0.99).
Conclusion: Three whitening toothpastes whiten primary teeth and increase their surface roughness. These three toothpastes are not statistically different in terms of abrasion and whitening properties.
2. Samorodnitzky-Naveh GR, Geiger SB, Levin L. Patients' satisfaction with dental esthetics. J Am Dent Assoc. 2007 Jun; 138(6):805-8.
3. Tin-Oo MM, Saddki N, Hassan N. Factors influencing patient satisfaction with dental appearance and treatments they desire to improve aesthetics. BMC Oral Health. 2011 Feb 23; 11:6.
4. Carey CM. Tooth whitening: what we now know. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2014 Jun; 14 Suppl: 70-6.
5. Majeed A, Farooq I, Grobler SR, Rossouw RJ. Tooth-bleaching: a review of the efficacy and adverse effects of various tooth-whitening products. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2015 Dec; 25(12):891-6.
6. Soares CN, Amaral FL, Mesquita MF, Franca FM, Basting RT, Turssi CP. Toothpastes containing abrasive and chemical whitening agents: efficacy in reducing extrinsic dental staining. Gen Dent. 2015 Nov-Dec;63(6):e24-8.
7. Joiner A. Whitening toothpastes: a review of the literature. J Dent. 2010; 38 Suppl 2:e17-24.
8. Demarco FF, Meireles SS, Sarmento HR, Dantas RV, Botero T, Tarquinio SB. Erosion and
abrasion on dental structures undergoing at-home bleaching. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2011 Jul 18; 3:45-52.
9. Epple M, Meyer F, Enax J. A Critical Review of Modern Concepts for Teeth Whitening. Dent J (Basel). 2019 Aug 1; 7(3). pii: E79.
10. Stovell AG, Newton BM, Lynch RJ. Important considerations in the development of toothpaste formulations for children. Int Dent J. 2013 Dec; 63 Suppl 2:57-63.
11. Bayle P, Dean MC. New ways to think about enamel and dentine thickness in longitudinal tooth sections. Bull Int Assoc Paleodont. 2013; 7(1):29-37.
12. Churchley D, Schemehorn BR. In vitro assessment of a toothpaste range specifically designed for children. Int Dent J. 2013; 63(Suppl 2):48-56.
13. Vaz VTP, Jubilato DP, Oliveira MRM, Bortolatto JF, Floros MC, Dantas AAR, et al. Whitening toothpaste containing activated charcoal, blue covarine, hydrogen peroxide or microbeads: which one is the most effective? J Appl Oral Sci. 2019 Jan 14; 27:e20180051.
14. Ismail AI, Hasson H, Sohn W. Dental caries in the second millennium. J Dent Educ. 2001 Oct; 65(10):953-9.
15. Silva EMD, Maia JNDSMD, Mitraud CG, Russo JDES, Poskus LT, Guimarães JGA. Can whitening toothpastes maintain the optical stability of enamel over time? J Appl Oral Sci. 2018 Feb 1; 26:e20160460.
16. Kim-Pusateri S, Brewer JD, Davis EL, Wee AG. Reliability and accuracy of four dental shadematching devices. J Prosthet Dent. 2009 Mar; 101(3):193-9.
17. Bergen SF, Paravina RD. Color Education and Training in Dentistry: A First-Hand Perspective. J Esthet Res Dent. 2017 Mar-Apr; 29(2):E3-E5.
18. Godlevsky L, Bidnyuk E, Bayazitov N, Kresyun N, Kovalenko A, Lyashenko A, et al. Application of Mobile Photography with Smartphone Cameras for Monitoring of Early Caries Appearance in the Course of Orthodontic Correction with Dental Brackets. Appl Med Inform. 2013 Dec; 33(4):21-6.
19. Cal E, Güneri P, Kose T. Comparison of digital and spectrophotometric measurements of colour shade guides. J Oral Rehabil. 2006 Mar; 33(3):221-8.
20. Sîmpălean D, Petrisor M, Măruşteri MŞ, Ghiga D, Bacârea V, Calinici T, et al. A software application to detect dental color. Appl Med Inform. 2015 Sep; 37(3):31-8.
21. Chu SJ, Trushkowsky RD, Paravina RD. Dental color matching instruments and systems. Review of clinical and research aspects. J Dent. 2010; 38 Suppl 2:e2-16.
22. Vichi A, Louca C, Corciolani G, Ferrari M. Color related to ceramic and zirconia restorations: a review. Dent Mater. 2011 Jan; 27(1):97-108.
23. Llena C, Lozano E, Amengual J, Forner L. Reliability of two color selection devices in matching and measuring tooth color. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2011 Jan 1; 12(1):19-23.
24. Ren YF, Zhao Q, Malmstrom H, Barnes V, Xu T. Assessing fluoride treatment and resistance of dental enamel to soft drink erosion in vitro: applications of focus variation 3D scanning microscopy and stylus profilometry. J Dent. 2009 Mar; 37(3):167-76.
25. Vicentini BC, Braga SR, Sobral MA. The measurement in vitro of dentine abrasion by toothpastes. Int Dent J. 2007 Oct; 57(5):314-8.
26. Joiner A, Philpotts CJ, Ashcroft AT, Laucello M, Salvaderi A. In vitro cleaning, abrasion and fluoride efficacy of a new silica based whitening toothpaste containing blue covarine. J Dent. 2008; 36 Suppl 1:S32- 7.
27. de Araújo DB, Silva LR, Campos Ede J, Correia de Araújo RP. In vitro study on tooth enamel lesions related to whitening dentifrice. Indian J Dent Res. 2011 Nov-Dec; 22(6):770-6.
28. Pintado-Palomino K, Vasconcelos CV, Silva RJ, Fressatti AL, Motta BJ, Pires-DE-Souza FC, et al. Effect of whitening dentifrices: a double-blind randomized controlled trial. Braz Oral Res. 2016 Oct 10; 30:e82.
29. Johannsen G, Tellefsen G, Johannsen A, Liljeborg A. The importance of measuring toothpaste abrasivity in both a quantitative and qualitative way. Acta Odontol Scand. 2013 May-Jul; 71(3-4):508-17.
30. Addy M, Hunter ML. Can tooth brushing damage your health? Effects on oral and dental tissues. Int Dent J. 2003; 53 Suppl 3:177-86.
31. Macdonald E, North A, Maggio B, Sufi F, Mason S, Moore C, et al. Clinical study investigating abrasive effects of three toothpastes and water in an in situ model. J Dent. 2010 Jun; 38(6):509-16.
32. Kaidonis JA, Richards LC, Townsend GC, Tansley GD. Abrasion of human enamel: a quantitative in vitro assessment. J Dent Res. 1998 Dec; 77(12):1983-90.
33. Pertiwi UI, Eriwati YK, Irawan B. Surface changes of enamel after brushing with charcoal toothpaste. J Phys Conf Ser. 2017;884:012002.
34. da Cas NV, Ruat GR, Bueno RP, Pachaly R, Pozzobon RT. Effect of whitening toothpaste on superficial roughness of composite resin. Gen Dent. 2013 Jul; 61(4):e8-11.
35. MoghareAbed A, Izadi M, Kave M, Tavakoli M, Yaghini J. Comparative Study Investigating Abrasive Effects of 12 Commercially Available Toothpastes on Enamel, in Iran. J Mash Dent Sch. 2012; 36:239-248.
36. de Moraes Rego Roselino L, Tirapelli C, de Carvalho Panzeri Pires-de-Souza F. Randomized clinical study of alterations in the color and surface roughness of dental enamel brushed with whitening toothpaste. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2018 Sep; 30(5):383-389.
37. Mosquim V, Martines Souza B, Foratori Junior GA, Wang L, Magalhães AC. The abrasive effect of commercial whitening toothpastes on eroded enamel. Am J Dent. 2017 Jun; 30(3):142-146.
|Issue||Vol 19 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Whitening Abrasion Toothpaste Primary Teeth Activated Charcoal|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|