Surface Micro-Hardness and Wear Resistance of a Self-Adhesive Flowable Composite in Comparison to Conventional Flowable Composites
Mechanical Characteristics of a Flowable Composite
Objectives: The durability of composite restorations is directly affected by the mechanical properties of the composite. The aim of this study was to evaluate the hardness and wear resistance of self-adhesive flowable composite (SAF) in comparison with conventional flowable composites.
Materials and Methods: In this in vitro study, 50 composite specimens were prepared in brass molds with 10mm ×10mm ×2mm and divided into five groups (n=10). Specimens included three conventional flowable composites (Grandio flow, Filtek flow and Admira fusion flow), one self-adhering flowable composite (SAF, Vertise flow) and a microhybrid composite (filtek z250). After polishing, the micro-hardness of the specimens was measured in a Vickers hardness device, and the specimens were then subjected to 5000, 10000, 20000, 40000, 80000 and 120000 wear cycles in a wear tester. One-way ANOVA/Games-Howell, Kruskal Wallis, and Friedman tests were used for statistical analysis. The significance level was set at P<0.05.
Results: The surface micro-hardness of the SAF was significantly lower than that of the microhybrid composite (P=0.01). There was no significant difference between the surface hardness of the different tested flowable composites (P>0.05). Also, the wear resistance of the studied composites was not significantly different in various cycles (P>0.05).
Conclusion: Based on our results, SAF would not be an ideal substitute for conventional flowable composites in high-stress areas.
2. Abed YA, Sabry HA, Alrobeigy NA. Degree of conversion and surface hardness of bulk-fill composite versus incremental-fill composite. Tanta Dent J. 2015 Jun 1;12(2):71-80.
3. Rashidian A, Saghiri MA, Bigloo SM, Afsharianzadeh M. Effect of fluoride gel on microhardness of flowable composites: An in vitro study. J Dent Sch Shahid Beheshti Univ Med Sci. 2014;32(1):16-22.
4. Hashemikamangar SS, Meymand MZ, Kharazifard MJ, Valizadeh S. Surface microhardness of a self-adhesive composite in comparison with conventional composite resins. Dent Med Probl. 2020 Jul-Sep;57(3):247-253.
5. Cao L, Zhao X, Gong X, Zhao S. An in vitro investigation of wear resistance and hardness of composite resins. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2013 Jun 26;6(6):423-30.
6. Chimello DT, Dibb RG, Corona SA, Lara EH. Assessing wear and surface roughness of different composite resins after toothbrushing. Mater Res. 2001;4:285-9.
7. Asefi S, Eskandarion S, Hamidiaval S. Fissure sealant materials: Wear resistance of flowable composite resins. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2016;10(3):194-9.
8. Sumino N, Tsubota K, Takamizawa T, Shiratsuchi K, Miyazaki M, Latta MA. Comparison of the wear and flexural characteristics of flowable resin composites for posterior lesions. Acta Odontol Scand. 2013 May-Jul;71(3-4):820-7.
9. Barkmeier WW, Latta MA, Erickson RL, Lambrechts P. Comparison of laboratory and clinical wear rates of resin composites. Quintessence Int. 2004 Apr;35(4):269-74
10. Contreras RG, Vilchis RJ, Torres LS, Arrocena MC, García-Garduño R, de la Fuente Hernández J. Vickers microhardness comparison of 4 composite resins with different types of filler. J Oral Res. 2015;4(5):313-20.
11. Kundie F, Azhari CH, Muchtar A, Ahmad ZA. Effects of filler size on the mechanical properties of polymer-filled dental composites: A review of recent developments. J Phys Sci. 2018;29(1):141-65.
12. Aung SZ, Takagaki T, Ikeda M, Nozaki K, Burrow MF, Abdou A, et all. The effect of different light curing units on Vickers microhardness and degree of conversion of flowable resin composites. Dent Mater J. 2021 Jan 31;40(1):44-51.
13. Hirayama S, Iwai H, Tanimoto Y. Mechanical evaluation of five flowable resin composites by the dynamic micro-indentation method. J Dent Biomech. 2014 May 2;5:1758736014533983.
14. Chinelatti MA, Chimello DT, Ramos RP, Palma-Dibb RG. Evaluation of the surface hardness of composite resins before and after polishing at different times. J Appl Oral Sci. 2006 Jun;14(3):188-92.
15. Sakaguchi, R.; Power, J. Craig’s Restorative Dental Materials, 13th ed.; Elsevier Health Sciences: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2012.
16. Gajapriya M, Somasundaram J, Geetha RV. Fillers in composite resins-recent advances. Eur J Mol Clin Med. 2020;7(01):2020.
17. Asadian F, Shahidi Z, Moradi Z. Evaluation of Wear Properties of Four Bulk-Fill Composites: Attrition, Erosion, and Abrasion. Biomed Res Int. 2021 Nov 12;2021:8649616.
18. Saati K, Khansari S, Mahdisiar F, Valizadeh S. Evaluation of Microhardness of Two Bulk-fill Composite Resins Compared to a Conventional Composite Resin on surface and in Different Depths. J Dent (Shiraz). 2022 Mar;23(1):58-64.
19. Blackham JT, Vandewalle KS, Lien W. Properties of hybrid resin composite systems containing prepolymerized filler particles. Oper Dent. 2009 Nov-Dec;34(6):697-702.
20. Tiba A, Charlton DG, Vandewalle KS, Ragain JC Jr. Comparison of two video-imaging instruments for measuring volumetric shrinkage of dental resin composites. J Dent. 2005 Oct;33(9):757-63.
21. Anfe TE, Caneppele TM, Agra CM, Vieira GF. Microhardness assessment of different commercial brands of resin composites with different degrees of translucence. Braz Oral Res. 2008 Oct-Dec;22(4):358-63.
22. Kwon YH, Jeon GH, Jang CM, Seol HJ, Kim HI. Evaluation of polymerization of light-curing hybrid composite resins. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2006 Jan;76(1):106-13.
23. Gajewski VE, Pfeifer CS, Fróes-Salgado NR, Boaro LC, Braga RR. Monomers used in resin composites: degree of conversion, mechanical properties and water sorption/solubility. Braz Dent J. 2012;23(5):508-14.
24. Shinkai K, Taira Y, Suzuki S, Kawashima S, Suzuki M. Effect of filler size and filler loading on wear of experimental flowable resin composites. J Appl Oral Sci. 2018 Feb 1;26:e20160652.
25. Rangreez TA, Mobin R, Asiri AM, Mohammad A. Applications of nanocomposite materials in dentistry. 1st ed.; Elsevier: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2019: 205–224
26. Say EC, Civelek A, Nobecourt A, Ersoy M, Guleryuz C. Wear and microhardness of different resin composite materials. Oper Dent. 2003 Sep-Oct;28(5):628-34.
|Issue||Vol 20 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Dental Restoration Wear Hardness; Composite Resins Flowable Hybrid Composite|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|