Retentive Strength of Orthodontic Bands Cemented with Amorphous Calcium Phosphate-Modified Glass Ionomer Cement: An In-Vitro Study
Objectives: The aim of this study was to evaluate and compare the retentive strength of orthodontic bands cemented with amorphous calcium phosphate (ACP)-containing and conventional glass ionomer cements (GICs).
Materials and Methods: One-hundred-and-twenty mandibular third molars were embedded in acrylic resin blocks with the buccal surface of crowns perpendicular to the base of the mold. The teeth were randomly divided into four groups containing 30 teeth each. Groups 1 and 3 were cemented using conventional GIC and groups 2 and 4 were cemented using ACP-containing orthodontic cement. Groups 1 and 2 without thermocycling, and groups 3 and 4 after thermocycling (5000 cycles, 5° to 55°C) were tested for retentive strength using a universal testing machine (crosshead speed of 1mm/minute). Two-way ANOVA was performed to compare the retentive strength of the groups.
Results: The highest retentive strength belonged to group 1, and it was significantly higher than that of group 2 (P<0.001) and group 3 (P=0.02). The mean strength for group 2 was significantly lower than that of group 1 (P<0.001) and group 4 (P=0.04).
Conclusions: Although retentive strength decreased when ACP was added to GIC, the retentive strength of the samples cemented by ACP-containing GIC was remarkably high after thermocycling. It seems that in the oral cavity, ACP-containing GIC provides sufficient strength to endure forces applied on posterior teeth.
- Millett DT, Doubleday B, Alatsaris M, Love J, Wood D, Luther F, et al. Chlorhexidine-modified glass ionomer for band cementation? An in vitro study. J Orthod. 2005 Mar;32(1):36-42.
- Aggarwal M, Foley TF, Rix D. A comparison of shear-peel band strengths of 5 orthodontic cements. Angle Orthod. 2000 Aug;70(4):308-16.
- Millett D, Mandall N, Hickman J, Mattick R, Glenny AM. Adhesives for fixed orthodontic bands: A systematic review. Angle Orthod. 2009 Jan;79(1):193-9.
- O'Reilly MM, Featherstone JD. Demineralization and remineralization around orthodontic appliances: an in vivo study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1987 Jul;92(1):33-40.
- Sudjalim TR, Woods MG, Manton DJ. Prevention of white spot lesions in orthodontic practice: a contemporary review. Aust Dent J. 2006 Dec;51(4): 284-9.
- Uysal T, Amasyali M, Koyuturk AE, Sagdic D. Efficiency of amorphous calcium phosphate-containing orthodontic composite and resin modified glass ionomer on demineralization evaluated by a new laser fluorescence device. Eur J Dent. 2009 Apr;3(2):127-34.
- Chang HS, Walsh LJ, Freer TJ. Enamel demineralization during orthodontic treatment. Aetiology and prevention. Aust Dent J. 1997 Oct; 42(5):322-7.
- Uysal T, Yilmaz E, Ramoglu SI. Amorphous calcium phosphate-containing orthodontic cement for band fixation: an in vitro study. World J Orthod. 2010 Summer;11(2):129-34.
- Uysal T, Amasyali M, Ozcan S, Koyuturk AE, Akyol M, Sagdic D. In vivo effects of amorphous calcium phosphate-containing orthodontic composite on enamel demineralization around orthodontic brackets. Aust Dent J. 2010 Sep;55 (3):285-91.
- Norris DS, McInnes-Ledoux P, Schwaninger B, Weinberg R. Retention of orthodontic bands with new fluoride-releasing cements. Am J Orthod. 1986 Mar;89 (3):206-11.
- Dennison JD, Powers JM. A review of dental cements used for permanent retention of restorations. I. Composition and manipulation. J Mich State Dent Assoc. 1974 Apr;56(4):116-21.
- Maijer R, Smith DC. A comparison between zinc phosphate and glass ionomer cement in orthodontics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1988 Apr;93(4): 273-9.
- Millett DT, Duff S, Morrison L, Cummings A, Gilmour WH. In vitro comparison of orthodontic band cements. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2003 Jan;123(1):15-20.
- Wei SH, Sierk DL. Fluoride uptake by enamel from zinc phosphate cement containing stannous fluoride. J Am Dent Assoc. 1971 Sep;83(3):621-4.
- Mizrahi E. The recementation of orthodontic bands using different cements. Angle Orthod. 1979 Oct;49(4):239-46.
- Brown D. Orthodontic band cements. Br J Orthod. 1989 May;16(2):127-31.
- Wilson AD, Kent BE. A new translucent cement for dentistry. The glass ionomer cement. Br Dent J. 1972 Feb 15;132(4):133-5.
- Fricker JP, McLachlan MD. Clinical studies of glass ionomer cements. Part I--A twelve-month clinical study comparing zinc phosphate cement to glass ionomer. Aust Orthod J. 1985 Mar;9(1):179-80.
- Schumacher GE, Antonucci JM, O'Donnell JN, Skrtic D. The use of amorphous calcium phosphate composites as bioactive basing materials: their effect on the strength of the composite/adhesive/dentin bond. J Am Dent Assoc. 2007 Nov;138(11):1476-84.
- Skrtic D, Hailer AW, Takagi S, Antonucci JM, Eanes ED. Quantitative assessment of the efficacy of amorphous calcium phosphate ⁄ methacrylate composites in remineralizing caries-like lesions artificially produced in bovine enamel. J Dent Res. 1996 Sep;75(9):1679-86.
- Fowler PV. A twelve-month clinical trial comparing the bracket failure rates of light-cured resin-modified glass-ionomer adhesive and acid-etch chemical-cured composite. Aust Orthod J. 1998 Oct;15(3):186-90.
- McLean JW, Wilson AD. The clinical development of the glass-ionomer cement. II. Some clinical applications. Aust Dent J. 1977 Apr;22(2): 120-7.
- Reisbick MH. Working qualities of glass-ionomer cements. J Prosthet Dent. 1981 Nov;46(5): 525-30.
- Mount GJ, Makinson OF. Glass-ionomer restorative cements: clinical implications of the setting reaction. Oper Dent. 1982 Autumn;7(4):134-41.
- Foster JA, Berzins DW, Bradley TG. Bond strength of an amorphous calcium phosphate-containing orthodontic adhesive. Angle Orthod. 2008 Mar;78(2):339-44.
- Somrani S, Banu M, Jemal M, Rey C. Physico-chemical and thermochemical studies of the hydrolytic conversion of amorphous tricalcium phosphate into apatite. J. Solid State Chem. 2005 May 31;178(5):1337-48.
- Mazzaoui SA, Burrow MF, Tyas MJ, Dashper SG, Eakins D, Reynolds EC. Incorporation of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate into a glass-ionomer cement. J Dent Res. 2003 Nov;82(11): 914-8.
- Park SY, Cha JY, Kim KN, Hwang CJ. The effect of casein phosphopeptide amorphous calcium phosphate on the in vitro shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Korean J Orthod. 2013 Feb;43 (1):23-8.
- Ghiz MA, Ngan P, Kao E, Martin C, Gunel E. Effects of sealant and self-etching primer on enamel decalcification. Part II: an in vivo study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2009 Feb;135(2):206-13.
- Tabrizi A, Cakirer B. A comparative evaluation of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate and fluoride on the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Eur J Orthod. 2011 Jun;33(3): 282-7.
- Uysal T, Ulker M, Akdogan G, Ramoglu SI, Yilmaz E. Bond strength of amorphous calcium phosphate-containing orthodontic composite used as a lingual retainer adhesive. Angle Orthod. 2009 Jan;79(1):117-21.
- Yengopal V, Mickenautsch S. Caries preventive effect of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP): a meta-analysis. Acta Odontol Scand. 2009 Jan;67(6):321-32.
- Dunn WJ. Shear bond strength of an amorphous calcium-phosphate-containing orthodontic resin cement. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007 Feb;131(2):243-7.
- de Moura MS, de Melo Simplício AH, Cury JA. In-vivo effects of fluoridated antiplaque dentifrice and bonding material on enamel demineralization adjacent to orthodontic appliances. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006 Sep;130(3):357-63.
- Wood DP, Paleczny GJ, Johnson LN. The effect of sandblasting on the retention of orthodonticbands. Angle Orthod. 1996;66(3):207-14.
- Reynolds IR. A review of direct orthodontic bonding. Br J Orthod. 1975 Jul;2(3):171-8.
- Antonucci JM. Resin based dental composites. In: Chiellini E, Giusti P, Migliaresi E, Niclais L (Ed,). Polymers in medicine II. New York, NY, Plenum Press, 1986:277-303.
- Arici S, Arici N. Effects of thermocycling on the
bond strength of a resin-modified glass ionomer cement: an in vitro comparative study. Angle Orthod. 2003 Dec;73(6):692-6.
- Millett DT, McCabe JF. Orthodontic bonding with glass ionomer cement-a review. Eur J Orthod. 1996 Aug;18(4):385-99.
- Xiaojun D, Jing L, Xuehua G, Hong R, Youcheng Y, Zhangyu G, et al. Effects of CPP-ACP paste on the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Angle Orthod. 2009 Sep;79(5):945-50.
- Dorozhkin SV. Amorphous calcium (ortho) phosphates. Acta Biomater. 2010 Dec;6(12): 4457-75.
|Issue||Vol 14, No 1 (2017)|
|Glass-ionomer Amorphous calcium phosphate Retention|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|