Effect of Different Irrigants Applied After Post Space Preparation on Push-Out Bond Strength of a Self-Etch Resin Cement
Objectives: The aim was to investigate the effect of intracanal irrigants and agents on the bond strength of intraradicular fiber posts to dentin.
Materials and Methods: Root canals of 72 decoronated single-rooted premolars were cleaned, shaped, and obturated with gutta-percha and AH26. The specimens were incubated at 37oC and 100% humidity for seven days. Next, the coronal 10 mm of the canals were prepared to receive size 2 D.T. Light fiber post, and the specimens were randomly allocated into six groups according to the irrigants used after post space preparation: normal saline (control group), 5.25% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl)/15 seconds, 17% ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA)/60 seconds, 2% chlorhexidine (CHX)/5 minutes, MTAD/5 minutes, and acid-etching/15 seconds. All canals were rinsed with normal saline and dried. Fiber posts were cemented using Panavia F2.0. After 24 hours, two mid-root slices of 1mm thickness were obtained from each specimen. Push-out bond strength test was performed in a universal testing machine at 0.5mm/minute. The maximum applied load was recorded, and the bond strength was calculated in megapascal (MPa). Data were analyzed by one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Tukey's test.
Results: The mean shear bond strengths of etched (53.21±12.11 MPa), MTAD (52.47±14.75 MPa) and EDTA (49.08±10.19 MPa) groups were significantly higher than that of the control group (39.82±10.04 MPa). The difference was marginally significant for CHX group (49.8±13.57 MPa) and not significant for NaOCl group (47.15±17.64 MPa).
Conclusions: Etching or irrigating the root canals with MTAD or EDTA after post space preparation increases the bond strength of Panavia F2.0 to dentin.
- Dammaschke T, Nykiel K, Sagheri D, Schäfer E. Influence of coronal restorations on the fracture resistance of root canal-treated premolar and molar teeth: a retrospective study. Aust Endod J. 2013 Aug;39(2):48-56.
- Suzuki TY, Gomes-Filho JE, Gallego J, Pavan S, Dos Santos PH, Fraga Briso AL. Mechanical properties of components of the bonding interface in different regions of radicular dentin surfaces. J Prosthet Dent. 2015 Jan;113(1):54-61.
- De Goes MF, Giannini M, Foxton RM, Nikaido T, Tagami J. Microtensile bond strength between crown and root dentin and two adhesive systems. J Prosthet Dent. 2007 Apr;97(4):223-8.
- Tay FR, Loushine RJ, Lambrechts P, Weller RN, Pashley DH. Geometric factors affecting dentin bonding in root canals: a theoretical modeling approach. J Endod. 2005 Aug;31(8):584-9.
- Bouillaguet S, Troesch S, Wataha JC, Krejci I, Meyer JM, Pashley DH. Microtensile bond strength between adhesive cements and root canal dentin. Dent Mater. 2003 May;19(3):199-205.
- Wegehaupt FJ, Betschart J, Attin T. Effect of sodium hypochlorite contamination on microhardness of dental core build-up materials. Dent Mater J. 2010 Aug;29(4):469-74.
- Torabinejad M, Handysides R, Khademi AA, Bakland LK. Clinical implications of the smear layer in endodontics: a review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002 Dec;94(6):658-66.
- Zehnder M. Root canal irrigants. J Endod. 2006 May;32(5):389-98.
- Grewal PS, Grewal KP, Grover D. A literature review of different criterias for selecting and cementing a post- A review. J Clin Exp Dent. 2011;3(4):e321-4.
- Boone KJ, Murchison DF, Schindler WG, Walker WA 3rd. Post retention: the effect of sequence of post-space preparation, cementation time, and different sealers. J Endod. 2001 Dec;27(12):768-71.
- de Moraes AP, Cenci MS, de Moraes RR, Pereira-Cenci T. Current concepts on the use and adhesive bonding of glass-fiber posts in dentistry: a review. Appl Adhes Sci. 2013 Dec;1:4.
- Serafino C, Gallina G, Cumbo E, Ferrari M. Surface debris of canal walls after post space preparation in endodontically treated teeth: a scanning electron microscopic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004 Mar;97(3):381-7.
- Menani LR, Ribeiro RF, Antunes RP. Tensile bond strength of cast commercially pure titanium and cast gold-alloy posts and cores cemented with two luting agents. J Prosthet Dent. 2008 Feb;99(2):141-7.
- Tay FR, Pashley DH. Aggressiveness of contemporary self-etching systems. I: Depth of penetration beyond dentin smear layers. Dent Mater. 2001 Jul;17(4):296-308.
- Farid F, Mahgoli H, Hosseini A, Chiniforush N. Effect of eugenol-containing and resin endodontic sealers on retention of prefabricated metal posts cemented with zinc phosphate and resin cements. J Prosthodont Res. 2013 Oct;57(4):284-7.
- Aleisa k, Alghabban R, Alwazzan K, Morgano SM. Effect of three endodontic sealers on the bond strength of prefabricated fiber posts luted with three resin cements. J Prosthet Dent. 2012 May;107(5):322-6.
- Kenshima S, Francci C, Reis A, Loguerico AD, Filho LE. Conditioning effect on dentin, resin tags and hybrid layer of different acidity self-etch adhesives applied to thick and thin smear layer. J Dent. 2006 Nov;34(10):775-83.
- Giannini M, Makishi P, Ayres AP, Vermelho PM, Fronza BM, Nikaido T, et al. Self-etch adhesive systems: a literature review. Braz Dent J. 2015 Jan-Feb;26(1):3-10.
- Hayashi M, Takahashi Y, Hirai M, Iwami Y, Imazato S, Ebisu S. Effect of endodontic irrigation on bonding of resin cement to radicular dentin. Eur J Oral Sci. 2005 Feb;113(1):70-6.
- Arisu HD, Kivanç BH, Sağlam BC, Şimşek E, Görgül G. Effect of post-space treatments on the push-out bond strength and failure modes of glass fibre posts. Aust Endod J. 2013 Apr;39(1):19-24.
- Martinho FC, Carvalho CA, Oliveira LD, de Lacerda AJ, Xavier AC, Augusto MG, et al. Comparison of different dentin pretreatment protocols on the bond strength of glass fiber post using self-etching adhesive. J Endod. 2015 Jan;41(1):83-7.
- Santos JN, Carrilho MR, De Goes MF, Zaia AA, Gomes BP, Souza-Filho FJ, et al. Effect of chemical irrigants on the bond strength of a self-etching adhesive to pulp chamber dentin. J Endod. 2006 Nov;32(11):1088-90.
- Cecchin D, Farina AP, Giacomin M, Vidal Cde M, Carlini-Junior B, Ferraz CC. Influence of chlorhexidine application time on the bond strength between fiber posts and dentin. J Endod. 2014 Dec;40(12):2045-8.
- Gu XH, Mao CY, Liang C, Wang HM, Kern M. Does endodontic post space irrigation affect smear layer removal and bonding effectiveness? Eur J Oral Sci. 2009 Oct;117(5):597-603.
- Schwartz RS. Adhesive dentistry and endodontics. Part 2: bonding in the root canal system- the promise and the problems: a review. J Endod. 2006 Dec;32(12):1125-34.
- Gu XH, Mao CY, Kern M. Effect of different irrigation on smear layer removal after post space preparation. J Endod. 2009 Apr;35(4):583-6.
- Jacques P, Hebling J. Effect of dentin conditioners on the microtensile bond strength of a conventional and a self-etching primer adhesive system. Dent Mater. 2005 Feb;21(2):103-9.
- Pelegrine RA, De Martin AS, Cunha RS, Pelegrine AA, da Silveira Bueno CE. Influence of chemical irrigants on the tensile bond strength of an adhesive system used to cement glass fiber posts to root dentin. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010 Nov;110(5):e73-6.
- Vilanova WV, Carvalho-Junior JR, Alfredo E, Sousa-Neto MD, Silva-Sousa YT. Effect of intracanal irrigants on the bond strength of epoxy resin-based and methacrylate resin-based sealers to root canal walls. Int Endod J. 2012 Jan;45(1):42-8.
- Torabinejad M, Cho Y, Khademi AA, Backland LK, Shabahang S. The effect of various concentrations of sodium hypochlorite on the ability of MTAD to remove the smear layer. J Endod. 2003 Apr;29(4):233-9.
- Machnick TK, Torabinejad M, Munoz CA, Shabahang S. Effect of MTAD on flexural strength and modulus of elasticity of dentin. J Endod. 2003 Nov;29(11):747-50.
- Yurdagüven H, Tanalp J, Toydemir B, Mohseni K, Soyman M, Bayirli G. The effect of endodontic irrigants on the microtensile bond strength of dentin adhesives. J Endod. 2009 Sep;35(9):1259-63.
- Reis A, Grandi V, Carlotto L, Bortoli G, Patzlaff R, Rodrigues Accorinte Mde L, et al. Effect of smear layer thickness and acidity of self-etching solutions on early and long-term bond strength to dentin. J Dent. 2005 Aug;33(7):549-59.
|Issue||Vol 15, No 4 (2018)|
|Dental Bonding Tooth Root Resin Cements Post and Core Technique Root Canal Irrigants Sodium Hypochlorite Chlorhexidine|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|