Lip repositioning, a solution for gummy smile
For many years oral esthetic problems treated by dentists were limited to those involving the teeth without giving consideration to the gingiva. However, today it is well established that these structures should be in balance to appear esthetically pleasing. More than 3mm gingival show during smiling is considered as ‘excessive gingival display’ also known as “gummy smile”, which is not attractive. The current case series, presents three patients with gummy smile managed by lip repositioning surgery, each with 1 year follow up. Our objective was to introduce lip repositioning as a successful treatment modality to decrease gingival show using a simple and conservative surgical approach.
2. Faus-Matoses V, Faus-Matoses I, Jorques-Zafrilla A, Faus-Llácer VJ. Lip repositioning technique. A simple surgical procedure to improve the smile harmony. J Clin Exp Dent. 2018 Apr 1;10(4):e408-e412.
3. Kokich VO Jr, Kiyak HA, Shapiro PA. Comparing the perception of dentists and lay people to altered dental esthetics. J Esthet Dent. 1999;11(6):311-24.
4. Rosenblatt A, Simon Z. Lip repositioning for reduction of excessive gingival display: a clinical report. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2006 Oct;26(5):433-7.
5. Ribeiro-Júnior NV, Campos TV, Rodrigues JG, Martins TM, Silva CO. Treatment of excessive gingival display using a modified lip repositioning technique. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2013 May-Jun;33(3):309-14.
6. Silberberg N, Goldstein M, Smidt A. Excessive gingival display--etiology, diagnosis, and treatment modalities. Quintessence Int. 2009 Nov-Dec;40(10):809-18.
7. Ezquerra F, Berrazueta MJ, Ruiz-Capillas A, Arregui JS. New approach to the gummy smile. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999 Sep;104(4):1143-52.
8. Jaspers GW, Pijpe J, Jansma J. The use of botulinum toxin type A in cosmetic facial procedures. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011 Feb;40(2):127-33.
9. Polo M. Botulinum toxin type A (Botox) for the neuromuscular correction of excessive gingival display on smiling (gummy smile). Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2008 Feb;133(2):195-203.
10. Baş B, Ozan B, Muğlali M, Celebi N. Treatment of masseteric hypertrophy with botulinum toxin: a report of two cases. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2010 Jul 1;15(4):e649-52.
11. Niamtu J 3rd. Cosmetic oral and maxillofacial surgery options. J Am Dent Assoc. 2000 Jun;131(6):756-64.
12. Lee EA. Aesthetic crown lengthening: classification, biologic rationale, and treatment planning considerations. Pract Proced Aesthet Dent. 2004 Nov-Dec;16(10):769-78.
13. Chu SJ, Karabin S, Mistry S. Short tooth syndrome: diagnosis, etiology, and treatment management. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2004 Feb;32(2):143-52.
14. Palomo L, Palomo JM, Bissada NF. Salient periodontal issues for the modern biologic orthodontist. InSeminars in Orthodontics 2008 Dec 1 (Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 229-245). WB Saunders.
15. Gabrić Pandurić D, Blašković M, Brozović J, Sušić M. Surgical treatment of excessive gingival display using lip repositioning technique and laser gingivectomy as an alternative to orthognathic surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014 Feb;72(2):404.e1-11.
16. Litton C, Fournier P. Simple surgical correction of the gummy smile. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1979 Mar;63(3):372-3.
17. Miskinyar SA. A new method for correcting a gummy smile. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1983 Sep;72(3):397-400.
18. Robbins JW. Differential diagnosis and treatment of excess gingival display. Pract Periodontics Aesthet Dent. 1999 Mar;11(2):265-72.
19. Gupta KK, Srivastava A, Singhal R, Srivastava S. An innovative cosmetic technique called lip repositioning. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2010 Oct;14(4):266-9.
20. Rubinstein A, Kostianovsky A. Cosmetic surgery for the malformation of the laugh: original technique. Prensa Med Argent. 1973;60:952.
21. Ellenbogen R, Swara N. The improvement of the gummy smile using the implant spacer technique. Ann Plast Surg. 1984 Jan;12(1):16-24.
22. Tawfik OK, El-Nahass HE, Shipman P, Looney SW, Cutler CW, Brunner M. Lip repositioning for the treatment of excess gingival display: A systematic review. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2018 Mar;30(2):101-112.
23. Sarver DM. Principles of cosmetic dentistry in orthodontics: Part 1. Shape and proportionality of anterior teeth. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2004 Dec;126(6):749-53. .
24. Garber DA, Salama MA. The aesthetic smile: diagnosis and treatment. Periodontol 2000. 1996 Jun;11:18-28 .
25. Ozturan S, Ay E, Sagir S. Case series of laser-assisted treatment of excessive gingival display: an alternative treatment. Photomed Laser Surg. 2014 Sep;32(9):517-23.
|Issue||Vol 18 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Oral Surgical Procedures lip smiling|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|