Color Stability of Different Denture Teeth Following Immersion in Staining Solutions
Objectives: This study aimed to assess the color change (∆E00) of 7 brands of denture teeth (conventional acrylic and composite teeth) following immersion in staining solutions.
Materials and Methods: Maxillary central incisor denture teeth made of 4 conventional acrylic resins (Vitapan, SR Vivodent PE, Beta Star and Crystal) and 3 composite resins (Finex, Emeral and Phonares II) were randomly divided into four groups (n=5). Denture teeth of different brands were immersed in tea, coffee, cola, and turmeric solutions. The solutions were incubated at 37°C. The baseline color of the teeth was measured using an intraoral spectrophotometer. The color of the teeth was measured after 24 h (∆E12), 1 week (∆E13), 2 weeks (∆E14), and 1 month (∆E15). ∆E00 was calculated and analyzed using one-way ANOVA. Pairwise comparisons were performed by the Tukey’s post-hoc test (P<0.05).
Results: The color stability of all teeth was significantly affected by the solutions (P<0.001). The type of tooth and coloring solution had significant interactions at all times (P<0.05). Turmeric caused the maximum color change in all teeth after 1 month. Repeated measures ANOVA showed that ∆E00 of all teeth was significantly affected by the duration of immersion in the solutions (P<0.001).
Conclusion: within the limitations of this study, 1-month immersion of denture teeth in coffee, tea and cola solution altered the ∆E values; however, they were within the acceptable range, except for Beta Star. Turmeric solution caused unacceptable color change in all denture teeth even after 24 h of immersion.
2. Hessari H, Vehkalahti M, Eghbal MJ, Murtomaa H. Tooth loss and prosthodontic rehabilitation among 35‐to 44‐year‐old Iranians. J Oral Rehabil. 2008 Sep;35(4):245-51.
3. Assunção WG, Barão VAR, Pita MS, Goiato MC. Effect of polymerization methods and thermal cycling on color stability of acrylic resin denture teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 2009 Dec;102(6):385-92.
4. Koksal T, Dikbas I. Color stability of different denture teeth materials against various staining agents. Dent Mater J. 2008 Aug;27(1):139-44.
5. Zarb GA, Bolender CL. Eckert SE, Jacob Fenton AH, Merickske-stern RM. Prosthodontic treatment for edentulous patients: Complete denture and Implant supported prosthesis. St. Louis: Mosby, 2004:195-8.
6. Mutlu-Sagesen L, Ergün G, Özkan Y, Bek B. Color stability of different denture teeth materials: an in vitro study. J Oral Sci. 2001 Sep;43(3):193-205.
7. Piskin B, Sipahi C, Akin H. Effect of different chemical disinfectants on color stability of acrylic denture teeth. J Prosthodont. 2014 Jan;23(6):476-83.
8. Wasilewski MdS, Takahashi MK, Kirsten GA, de Souza EM. Effect of cigarette smoke and whiskey on the color stability of dental composites. Am J Dent. 2010 Feb;23(1):4-8.
9. Ansari LH, Sazvar MR, Ghahramani L, Atashrazm P, Izadi Z. Evaluation of the effect of tea & coffee on color change of the resin composite tooth (Glamour) and resin acrylic tooth (Ideal Dent). J Res Dent Sci. Winter 2010;6(20):58-62.
10. Kundu J, Kumar R, Seshan S. A study on evaluation of surface roughness and anti-staining propensity of nano-composite denture teeth. Int J Cur Res. 2014 Mar;6(7):52.
11. Kurtulmus-Yilmaz S, Deniz ST. Evaluation of staining susceptibility of resin artificial teeth and stain removal efficacy of denture cleansers. Acta Odontolscand. 2014 May;72(8):811-8.
12. Mousavi S, Narimani S, Hekmatfar S, Jafari K. Colour stability of various types of acrylic teeth exposed to coffee, tea and cola. J Dent Biomater. 2016 Nov;3(4):335.
13. Singh S, Aggarwal P. Effect of tea, coffee and turmeric solutions on the colour of denture base acrylic resin: An in vitro study. J Indian Prosthodont. 2012 May;12(3):149-53.
14. Al Kheraif A, Qassim SSB, Ramakrishnaiah R, ur Rehman I. Effect of different beverages on the color stability and degree of conversion of nano and microhybrid composites. Dent Mater J. 2013 Jan;32(2):326-31.
15. Goiato MC, Nóbrega AS, Santos DMd, Andreotti AM, Moreno A. Effect of different solutions on color stability of acrylic resin-based dentures. Braz Oral Res. 2014 Dec;28(1):1-7.
16. Pecho OE, Ghinea R, Alessandretti R, Pérez MM, Della Bona A. Visual and instrumental shade matching using CIELAB and CIEDE2000 color difference formulas. Dent Mater. 2016 Jan;32(1):82- 92.
17. Dozić A, Kleverlaan CJ, El‐Zohairy A, Feilzer AJ, Khashayar G. Performance of five commercially available tooth color‐measuring devices. J Prosthodont. 2007 Mar;16(2):93-100.
18. Luo M, Cul G, Rigg B. The development of CIE 2000 color difference formula: CIEDE2000. Color Res Appl. 2001 Aug;26(5):340-50.
19. Akyil MŞ, Bayindir F. Time dependent effects of various staining agents on color of artificial teeth. Mater Res Innovations. 2010 Jul;14(5):365-9.
20. Satoh Y, Nagai E, Azaki M, Morikawa M, Ohyyama T, Toyoma H, et al. Study on high-strength plastic teeth. J Nihon Univ Sch Dent. 1993 Jun;35(3):192-9.
21. Um CM, Ruyter I. Staining of resin-based veneering materials with coffee and tea. Quintessence Int. 1991 May;22(5).
22. Haselton DR, Diaz-Arnold AM, Dawson DV. Color stability of provisional crown and fixed partial denture resins. J Prosthet Dent. 2005 Jan;93(1):70-5.
23. Imazato S, Tarumi H, Kato S, Ebisu S. Water sorption and color stability of composites containing the antibacterial monomer MDPB. J Dent. 1999 May;27(4):279-83.
24. Inokoshi S, Burrow M, Kataumi M, Yamada T, Takatsu T. Opacity and color changes of tooth-colored restorative materials. Oper Dent. 1996 Apr;21(2):73.
25. Omata Y, Uno S, Nakaoki Y, Tanaka T, Sano H, Yoshida S, et al. Staining of hybrid composites with coffee, oolong tea, or red wine. Dent Mater J. 2006 Mar;25(1):125-31.
26. Imirzalioglu P, Karacaer O, Yilmaz B, Ozmen MSc I. Color stability of denture acrylic resins and a soft lining material against tea, coffee, and nicotine. J Prosthodont. 2010 Feb;19(2):118-24
27. Rosentritt M, Esch J, Behr M, Leibrock A, Handel G. In vivo color stability of resin composite veneers and acrylic resin teeth in removable partial dentures. Quintessence Int. 1998 Aug;29(8).
28. Barszczewska-Rybarek IM. Characterization of urethane-dimethacrylate derivatives as alternative monomers for the restorative composite matrix. Dent Mater. 2014 Dec;30(12):1336-44.
29. Ivoclarvivadent [Internet]. USA: Ivoclar Vivadent company; 2009 [cited 2012 Jun 3]. Available from: https://www.ivoclarvivadent.us/
30. Angelo LS, Kurzrock R. Turmeric and green tea: a recipe for the treatment of B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Feb;15(4):1123-5.
31. Ardu S, Duc O, Di Bella E, Krejci I. Color stability of recent composite resins. Odontologia. 2017 Feb;105(1):29-35.
32. Patil SS, Dhakshaini M, Gujjari AK. Effect of cigarette smoke on acrylic resin teeth. J Clin Diagn Res. 2013 Sep;7(9):2056.
33. Ghahramanloo A, Madani AS, Sohrabi K, Sabzevari S. An evaluation of color stability of reinforced composite resin compared with dental porcelain in commonly consumed beverages. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2008 Sep;36(9):673-80.
34. Anusavice KJ. Philip’s science of dental materials. Philadelphia: WB Sunders,1996:200-5.
35. Brook A, Smith R, Lath D. The clinical measurement of tooth color and stain. Int Dent J. 2007 Apr;57(5):324-30.
|Issue||Vol 19 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Acrylic Resins Tooth Artificial Color|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|