Fracture Resistance of Zirconia Restorations with Four Different Framework Designs
Fracture Resistance of Zirconia Restorations
Objectives: This study assessed the fracture resistance of zirconia crowns with four framework designs, fabricated by computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology.
Materials and Methods: In this experimental study, a maxillary central incisor was prepared and scanned with a CAD/CAM scanner, and 40 frameworks with 4 designs (N=10) were fabricated as follows: simple core, dentine core with a design similar to dentine, 3mm trestle design collar in the lingual aspect with proximal buttresses, and monolithic or full-contour. After porcelain applying and 20h immersion in distilled water (37°C), crowns were cemented on metal dies using zinc phosphate cement. Fracture resistance was measured by a universal testing machine. Data were analyzed with one-way ANOVA (alpha=0.05).
Results: Fracture resistance was maximum in the monolithic group, followed by the dentine core, trestle design, and simple core groups, respectively. The mean fracture resistance of the monolithic group was significantly higher than that of the simple core group (P<0.005).
Conclusion: Zirconia restorations with frameworks that provided higher and more support for porcelain, showed increased fracture resistance
2. Amir Rad FA, Succaria FG, Morgano SM. Fracture resistance of porcelain veneered zirconia crowns with exposed lingual zirconia for anterior teeth after thermal cycling: An in vitro study. Saudi Dent J. 2015 Apr;27(2):63-9.
3. Cho HY, Won HY, Choe HC, Son MK. Fracture characteristics of dental ceramic crown according to zirconia coping design. Procedia Eng. 2011 Jan 1;10:1561-6.
4. Urapepon S, Taenguthai P. The effect of zirconia framework design on the failure of all-ceramic crown under static loading. J Adv Prosthodont. 2015 Apr;7(2):146-50. doi: 10.4047/jap.2015.7.2.146. Epub 2015 Apr 23.
5. Bonfante EA, da Silva NR, Coelho PG, Bayardo-González DE, Thompson VP, Bonfante G. Effect of framework design on crown failure. Eur J Oral Sci. 2009 Apr;117(2):194-9.
6. Hermann I, Bhowmick S, Lawn BR. Role of core support material in veneer failure of brittle layer structures. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2007 Jul;82(1):115-21.
7. Johansson C, Kmet G, Rivera J, Larsson C, Vult Von Steyern P. Fracture strength of monolithic all-ceramic crowns made of high translucent yttrium oxide-stabilized zirconium dioxide compared to porcelain-veneered crowns and lithium disilicate crowns. Acta Odontol Scand. 2014 Feb;72(2):145-53.
8. Ferrari M, Giovannetti A, Carrabba M, Bonadeo G, Rengo C, et al. Fracture resistance of three porcelain-layered CAD/CAM zirconia frame designs. Dent. Mater. J. 2014 Jul 1;30(7):e163-8.
9. Guess PC, Schultheis S, Bonfante EA, Coelho PG, Ferencz JL, Silva NR. All-ceramic systems: laboratory and clinical performance. Dent Clin North Am. 2011 Apr;55(2):333-52, ix.
10. Elshiyab SH, Nawafleh N, Öchsner A, George R. Fracture resistance of implant- supported monolithic crowns cemented to zirconia hybrid-abutments: zirconia-based crowns vs. lithium disilicate crowns. J Adv Prosthodont. 2018 Feb;10(1):65-72.
11. Kamio S, Komine F, Taguchi K, Iwasaki T, Blatz MB, Matsumura H. Effects of framework design and layering material on fracture strength of implant-supported zirconia-based molar crowns. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2015 Dec;26(12):1407-13.
12. Kokubo Y, Tsumita M, Kano T, Fukushima S. The influence of zirconia coping designs on the fracture load of all-ceramic molar crowns. Dent Mater J. 2011;30(3):281-5
13. Øilo M, Kvam K, Gjerdet NR. Load at fracture of monolithic and bilayered zirconia crowns with and without a cervical zirconia collar. J Prosthet Dent. 2016 May;115(5):630-6.
14. Marchack BW, Futatsuki Y, Marchack CB, White SN. Customization of milled zirconia copings for all-ceramic crowns: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2008 Mar;99(3):169-73.
15. Harris EF, Hicks JD. A radiographic assessment of enamel thickness in human maxillary incisors. Arch Oral Biol. 1998 Oct;43(10):825-31.
16. Mitov G, Anastassova-Yoshida Y, Nothdurft FP, von See C, Pospiech P. Influence of the preparation design and artificial aging on the fracture resistance of monolithic zirconia crowns. J Adv Prosthodont. 2016 Feb;8(1):30-6.
17. Tsalouchou E, Cattell MJ, Knowles JC, Pittayachawan P, McDonald A. Fatigue and fracture properties of yttria partially stabilized zirconia crown systems. Dent Mater. 2008 Mar;24(3):308-18
|Issue||Vol 20 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Flexural Strength In-Ceram Zirconia Crowns Dental Prosthesis Design|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|