Effect of Polyvinyl Siloxane Viscosity on Accuracy of Dental Implant Impressions
Objectives: The aim of this study was to compare the accuracy of dental implant impressions obtained by a combination of different impression techniques and viscosities of polyvinyl siloxane (PVS).
Materials and Methods: Four parallel fixtures were placed between mental foramina in a master model of lower dental arch. Three different viscosities (putty/light body, medium body/light body, and monophase: heavy body) and direct and indirect techniques (six groups) were used, and seven impressions were obtained from each group (n=42). To measure the accuracy of impressions, drift, horizontal, and vertical angles of the implants, as well as the hex rotation of the implants in casts were evaluated using a digitizer device (1μm accuracy), in comparison with master arch. Data were analyzed using five-factor two-way ANOVA and Tukey’s post-hoc test.
Results: The accuracy of impressions was assessed and the results showed that direct technique was not significantly different from indirect technique (P>0.05). Also, there were no significant differences between the mentioned viscosities except for the horizontal angle (P=0.006).
Conclusions: Viscosity of impression materials is of high significance for the accuracy of dental impressions.
- Misch C. Dental implant prosthetics. 3rd ed., China, Mosby, 2005:460-6.
- Akça K, Cehreli MC. Accuracy of 2 impression techniques for ITI implants. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004 Jul-Aug;19(4):517-23.
- Lee H, So JS, Hochstedler JL, Ercoli C. The accuracy of implant impressions: a systematic review. J Prosthet Dent. 2008 Oct;100(4):285-91.
- Kohavi D. Complications in the tissue integrated prostheses components: Clinical and mechanical evaluation. J Oral Rehabil. 1993 Jul;20(4):413-22.
- Prithviraj DR, Pujari M, Garg P, Shruthi D. Accuracy of the implant impression obtained from different impression materials and techniques: review: J Clin Exp Dent. 2011;3(2):106-11.
- Conrad HJ, Pesun IJ, Delong R, Hodges JS. Accuracy of two impression techniques with angulated implants. J Prosthet Dent. 2007 Jun;97(6):349-56.
- Carr AB. Comparison of impression techniques for a five-implant mandibular model. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1991 Dec;6(4):448-55.
- Liou AD, Nicholls JI, Yodels RA, Brudvik JS. Accuracy of replacing three tapered transfer impression copings in two elastomeric impression materials. Int J Prosthodont. 1993 Jul;6(4):377-83.
- Beumer J, Lewis SG. The Brånemark implant system. Clinical and laboratory procedures. St. Louis, Ishiyaku Euro America, 1989:66-7.
- Branemark PI. Osseo integration and its experimental background. J Prosthet Dent. 1983 Sep;50(3):399-410.
- Buzayan MM, Yunus NB. Passive fit in screw retained multi-unit implant prosthesis understanding and achieving: A review of the literature. J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2014 Mar;14(1):16-23.
- Herbst D, Nel JC, Driessen CH, Becker PJ. Evaluation of impression accuracy for osseo integrated implant supported superstructures. J Prosthet Dent. 2000 May;83(5):555-61.
- Daoudi MF, Setecholl DJ, Searson LJ. An evaluation of three implant level impression technique for single tooth implant. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2004 Mar;12(1):9-14.
- Naconecy MM, Teixeira ER, Shinkai RS, Frasca LC, Cervieri A. Evaluation of the accuracy of three transfer techniques for implant-supported prostheses with multiple abutments. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004 Mar;19(2):192-8.
- Mostafa TM, Elgendy MN, Kashef NA, Halim MM. Evaluation of the precision of three implant transfer impression techniques using two elastomeric impression materials. Int J Prosthodont. 2010 Nov;23(6):525-8.
- Sorrentino R, Gherlone EF, Calesini G, Zarone F. Effect of implant angulations, connection length, and impression material on the dimensional accuracy of implant impressions: an in vitro comparative study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2010 May; 12(s1):e63-76.
- Reddy S, Prasad K, Vakil H, Jain A, Chowdhary R. Accuracy of impressions with different impression materials in angulated implants. Niger J Clin Pract. 2013 Jul-Sep;16(3):279-84.
- Bambini F, Girreti L, Mane L, Pellecchia M, Selvaggio R. Comparative analysis of direct and indirect implant impression techniques an in vitro study. Minerva Stomatol. 2005 Jun;54(6):395-402.
- Ebadian B, Rismanchian M, Dastgheib B, Bajoghli F. Effect of different impression materials and techniques on the dimensional accuracy of implant definitive casts. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2015 Mar-Apr;12(2):136-43.
- Nakhaei M, Madani AS, Moraditalab A, Haghi HR. Three-dimensional accuracy of different impression techniques for dental implants. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2015 Sep-Oct;12(5):431-7.
- Walker MP, Ries D, Borello B. Implant cast accuracy as a function of impression techniques and impression material viscosity. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2008 Jul-Aug;23(4):669-74.
- Wenz HJ, Hertrampf K. Accuracy of impressions and casts using different implant impression techniques in a multi-implant system with an internal hex connection. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2008 Jan-Feb;23(1):39-47.
- Assuncao WG1, Filho HG, Zaniquelli O. Evaluation of transfer impressions for osseointegrated implants at various angulations. Implant Dent. 2004 Dec;13(4):358-66.
- Lorenzoni M, Pertl C, Penkner K, Polansky R, Sedaj B, Wegscheider WA. Comparison of the transfer precision of three different impression materials in combination with transfer caps for the Frialit-2 system. J Oral Rehabil. 2000 Jul;27(7):629-38.
- Vojdani M, Torabi K, Ansarifard E. Accuracy of different impression materials in parallel and nonparallel implants. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2015 Jul-Aug;12(4):315-22.
- Rosenstiel SF, Land MF, Fujimoto J. Contemporary fixed prosthodontics. 4th ed., St. Louis, Mosby, 2006:443.
|Issue||Vol 14, No 1 (2017)|
|Dental material dental implant dental impression technique viscosity polyvinyl siloxane dimensional measurement accuracy|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|