Diagnosis and Treatment of an Incomplete Crown-Root Fracture with Intentional Replantation: A Case Report
A case report
Acute traumatic injuries to the maxillary incisors may lead to a crown-root fracture. If the fracture is left untreated, the fracture line will propagate and extend apically, resulting in microbial contamination of the attachment apparatus and subsequent bone loss. In cases with extensive periodontal involvement, extraction has been suggested. However, bonding and sealing the fracture line with a biocompatible material seems to be an effective alternative treatment option. In this case report, management of a central incisor with an incomplete crown-root fracture that showed signs and symptoms of vertical root fracture is discussed. As the extension of the fracture line was not clear, intentional replantation and sealing the fracture line with a glass ionomer was performed. The tooth showed no signs and symptoms at six-month follow up, and the radiographic examination exhibited substantial bone repair.
2. Andreasen JO, Andreasen FM, Andersson L. Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth. New Jersey, U.S.: John Wiley & Sons; 2018:355-6.
3. Hiatt WH. Incomplete crown-root fracture in pulpal-periodontal disease. J Colo Dent Assoc. 1975;53(3):4-15.
4. Liao WC, Tsai YL, Wang CY, Chang MC, Huang WL, Lin HJ, et al. Clinical and Radiographic Characteristics of Vertical Root Fractures in Endodontically and Nonendodontically Treated Teeth. J Endod. 2017;43(5):687-93.
5. DiAngelis AJ, Andreasen JO, Ebeleseder KA, Kenny DJ, Trope M, Sigurdsson A, et al. International Association of Dental Traumatology guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: 1. Fractures and luxations of permanent teeth. Dent Traumatol. 2012;28(1):2-12.
6. Okaguchi M, Kuo T, Ho YC. Successful treatment of vertical root fracture through intentional replantation and root fragment bonding with 4-META/MMA-TBB resin. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association = Taiwan yi zhi. 2019;118(3):671-8.
7. Selden HS. Repair of incomplete vertical root fractures in endodontically treated teeth—in vivo trials. J Endod. 1996;22(8):426-9.
8. Moule AJ, Kahler B. Diagnosis and management of teeth with vertical root fractures. Aust Dent J. 1999;44(2):75-87.
9. Berman LH, Kuttler S. Fracture necrosis: diagnosis, prognosis assessment, and treatment recommendations. J Endod. 2010;36(3):442-6.
10. Yuan LT, Duan DM, Tan L, Wang XJ, Wu LA. Treatment for a complicated crown-root fracture with intentional replantation: a case report with a 3.5-year follow up. Dent Traumatol. 2013;29(6):474-8.
11. Wang Z, Heffernan M, Vann Jr WF. Management of a complicated crown‐root fracture in a young permanent incisor using intentional replantation. Dent Traumatol. 2008;24(1):100-3.
12. Moura L, Lima M, Moura M, Carvalho P, Cravinhos J, Carvalho C. Treatment of a crown‐root fracture with intentional replantation–case report with 16‐year follow‐up. Int Endod J. 2012;45(10):955-60.
13. Vignesh R, Ditto Sharmin C, Annamalai S, Baghkomeh PN. Management of complicated crown-root fracture by extra-oral fragment reattachment and intentional reimplantation with 2 years review. Contemp Clin Dent. 2019;10(2):397.
14. Lauridsen E, Andreasen JO, Bouaziz O, Andersson L. Risk of ankylosis of 400 avulsed and replanted human teeth in relation to length of dry storage: A re‐evaluation of a long‐term clinical study. Dent Traumatol. 2020;36(2):108-16. 15. Asgary S, Talebzadeh B. Intentional replantation of a molar with several endodontic complications. Journal of stomatology, oral and maxillofacial surgery. 2019;120(5):489-92.
16. Rivera EM, Walton RE. Longitudinal tooth cracks and fractures: an update and review. Endod Topics. 2015;33(1):14-42.
17. Nicopoulou-Karayianni K, Bragger U, Lang NP. Patterns of periodontal destruction associated with incomplete root fractures. Dento maxilla facial radiology. 1997;26(6):321-6.
18. Sugaya T, Kawanami M, Noguchi H, Kato H, Masaka N. Periodontal healing after bonding treatment of vertical root fracture. Dent Traumatol. 2001;17(4):174-9.
19. Hayashi M, Kinomoto Y, Takeshige F, Ebisu S. Prognosis of intentional replantation of vertically fractured roots reconstructed with dentin-bonded resin. J Endod. 2004;30(3):145-8.
20. De Bruyne MA, De Moor RJ. The use of glass ionomer cements in both conventional and surgical endodontics. Int Endod J. 2004;37(2):91- 104.
21. Peer M. Intentional replantation–a ‘last resort’treatment or a conventional treatment procedure? Nine case reports. Dent Traumatol. 2004;20(1):48-55.
22. Poi WR, Sonoda CK, Salineiro SL, Martin SC. Treatment of root perforation by intentional reimplantation: a case report. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1999;15(3):132-4.
23. Peñarrocha M, García B, Martí E, Palop M, von Arx T. Intentional replantation for the management of maxillary sinusitis. Int Endod J. 2007;40(11):891-9.
|Issue||Vol 19 (Continuously Published Article-Based)|
|Tooth Replantation Glass Ionomer Cements Tooth Fractures|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|